The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #16 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Statement from the IHSA on tonights 2A title game

IHSA Statement on Class 2A Boys Basketball State Championship Game > IHSA
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 01:56am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
Statement from the IHSA on tonights 2A title game

IHSA Statement on Class 2A Boys Basketball State Championship Game > IHSA
That statement makes me wonder if there were more unsporting acts than just the one in the video. Does anyone know what else happened?
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
That statement makes me wonder if there were more unsporting acts than just the one in the video. Does anyone know what else happened?
Yes. After the game and during the award ceremony Seton Academy walked off before getting the 2nd place trophy and did not come back to receive the trophy. Aslo the Seton coach supposedly took off his silver medal and tossed it to an assistant coach.(not sure why there. There could be a legit reason there) They also apparently left the arena almost right after the awards ceremony and he also supposedly had some words with some fans behind the bench right after the final buzzer. HArrisburg had a few fans rush the floor when there was still some time left on the clock.(not many and it was like .8 seconds) but the IHSa takes a dim view of this and the game itself was very chippy and physical with words going back and forth. There was a technical earlier in the game on a Harrisburg player before the incident with the Seton player.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 02:03am
Do not give a damn!!

I have a rather good source there was a lot going on in the arena. I heard there were some words from the stands and other places that were inappropriate.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

My source is a media source. I defer to those who have more info. Here is where I got a good amount of my info as well as this one from Peoria.

IHSA Class 2A boys basketball state final: Seton leaves upset after upset loss to Harrisburg during which Mark Weeks was ejected - chicagotribune.com

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/sportsc...early-and-late

Last edited by paulsonj72; Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 02:08am. Reason: Added 2nd media source
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 02:30am
AremRed

The second page of this article editorializes quite a bit, and has some harsh words concerning the officials.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The second page of this article editorializes quite a bit, and has some harsh words concerning the officials.
It was a column and I couldn't just get the 1st page.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 09:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I've heard this argument before. Rural officials working city school games. As someone who works games involving both city and rural schools, there's no denying that the games are different beasts to call.

That said, the 2 technical fouls called in the video above seemed to be right on the money and showed an official who reacted properly to a situation.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 09:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
He's done in my game.
Agreed. Good call!
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've heard this argument before. Rural officials working city school games. As someone who works games involving both city and rural schools, there's no denying that the games are different beasts to call.

That said, the 2 technical fouls called in the video above seemed to be right on the money and showed an official who reacted properly to a situation.
The entire game is at this link: 2013 IHSA Boys Basketball 2A Championship - South Holland (Seton Academy) vs Harrisburg (Event): Illinois: PlayOn! Sports

My guess is the guy who wrote the column went overboard with how the game was handled but we can all watch for ourselves. I definitely don't like the fact he not only mentioned the officials' names but the towns in which they live.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 12:22pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I definitely don't like the fact he not only mentioned the officials' names but the towns in which they live.
In my state, he would face disciplinary action (withdrawn credentials, denial of future credentials) for such behavior.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Preface-I'm an official from the Peoria area and had no rooting interest in the game other than a fan of basketball.

I was at this game and about 40 feet from where the T's were called. #4 that got booted probably should have been T'd earlier in the game. With a ringside seat I could see him trash talking from the tip-off.

I am going to say this while biting my tongue because as we all know you hate to judge another official and I very rarely do, but these guys let the game get to the point they had these technicals. They had no control over this game out of the shoot. Thus it escalated into what it did.

You had kids whacking each other, talking trash and acting like fools with nothing happening from the officials. Kids off ball were beating the hell out of each other and nothing. Somebody would get killed on one end of the floor in a giant crash with nothing and then a touch foul at the other end. It was odd to watch. I counted 6 crashes at the basket with bodies everywhere and nothing.

In their defense there was one official who tried to clean it up, but he was not enough. The other two unfortunately laid an egg. It was hard to watch. I felt bad for them to make it to the pinnacle in a championship game and then have a train wreck.

Someone mentioned the fans. I was very near the Harrisburg fans and they were brutal. If it would have been in a high school gym several of them would have been ejected. Some of the stuff they were saying was embarrassing to say the least.

With all that said as usual the losing team still easily could have won if they had just hit their free throws. If they shoot 70% from the line they win anyway.

It wasn't a great way for the fans, players, coaches or the officials to end their season.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
He gave the official a shove(not a big one but still a shove) while proteszting his 1st T. He was then given the 2nd T for the shove and was DQ'ed(ejected) for 2 T's
So...watching the whole scene develop I don't believe White #4 shoved the official to protest the first T. I believe White #4 made contact with the official because he was trying to show him what Blue #11 did after the foul was called. Not the wisest move for sure but that's my view.

Take a look at Blue #11 on the sideline view right after he's called for the foul. He gives White #4 a little shove in the back. That's what led to White #4's first T for saying something to Blue #11. When the T is called White #4 looks to the official and tries to show him what Blue #11 did...again, not the best move on his part.

When I first watched the play the thing that jumped out at me was there wasn't really any anger on White #4's face as he approached/made contact with the official. I know, we're not psychologists out there but that didn't make sense to me if he was truly angry about the call.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

JetMetFan-
You are correct on all counts. But several times leading up to this point in the game #4 white was trash talking and was angrily gesturing and talking to the officials. They didn't take care of it early, so it escalated into what it did.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding the Comments in this story

For an interesting(to say the least) perspective from some people read the comments from the Chicago Tribune Story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1172517.story