The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 10, 2002, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

During an NBA playoff game this year I witnessed an official hand out a technical foul because a player was "staring" at them, after he was charged with a personal foul. Now, I have been taught to use preventive measures as an official and I thought for this official to hand out a technical foul for "staring" was incorrect. I thought as an official we should try and keep players in the game, and not out. It seems to me that if the official was observing this player staring at him for a length of time, then he must have been staring at the player also. How should we as officials deal with situations like this?
Old Fri May 10, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Stare down

Not sure if this was the player, but in the past Rasheed Wallace has gotten this called on him. He has been warned on previous occasions. The official in this case said that the stare was threatening just like a fake clinching of the fists. The threat alone is meant to change the others actions. He said he was showing the player his actions was not the one that needed changing. It was the players..... Just what I read....
Old Fri May 10, 2002, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you can apply the priniciples that NBA officials use to call technical fouls to NF or NCAA play. These are grown men, although many don't act like it, and they have to be handled differently. They put up with some profanity directed at them. However, most would never tolerate that from a high school player. Also, you have to remember that a T in the NBA does not carry much of a penalty, 1 FT. Therefore, if a player gets out of line, you have to put him on notice since the only thing that means anything is an ejection.

Staring an official down is a form of intimidation. I, too, have seen Rasheed do this. Playoffs against the Lakers 2 years ago, Wallace gives Ron Garrettson the stare down. "Whack! Get out!" He actually said it to him, too.

My hero!