Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 04:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Isn't that just a Cuatro Equis?
Yeah, but I can't afford the premium stuff.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The N Word ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would have been more concerned with the use of a racial slur. That is just about as automatic as it can get. And it would have been done with one Flagrant Technical Foul.
Riddle me this? What if two African American teammates use the n word between themselves, not in anger, but as some type of cultural urban greeting, not whispered, not yelled, but loud enough so that an official, a few players, a few fans, and a coach can hear it?

It wasn't during the game, but the n word was used by Kemba Walker as he was being interviewed, surrounded by his teammates, after Connecticut won their most recent national championship. We all heard it. It's not too far of a stretch to think that we could hear something similar during our high school games.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 05:59pm.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:05pm
beware big brother

Context matters. In the case you bring up BillMac, not being used in deragatory manner or as racial slur, so I wouldnt touch in that situation.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will tell you the difference. Go to the Southside of Chicago as a white person, Hispanic or someone clearly not apart of that group and see how many *** whoopins you have to avoid. Let me do the same thing and no one would bat an eye. It is really that simple.

Now I am not saying I like the usage fo the word and do not use it in mixed company, let alone inside people I like (I was raised by someone that did not like the word in any context). I often tell players not to use that word around me and I do not care if they are saying it to each other. But they will not use that word in my presence. Usually that sends a message and I do not hear it much. Also that is very rare and most players know that is not acceptable in many circles. They likely do not say that in a classroom. I use it as a teaching moment.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Riddle me this? What if two African American teammates use the n word between themselves, not in anger, but as some type of cultural urban greeting, not whispered, not yelled, but loud enough so that an official, a few players, a few fans, and a coach can hear it?

It wasn't during the game, but the n word was used by Kemba Walker as he was being interviewed, surrounded by his teammates, after Connecticut won their most recent national championship. We all heard it. It's not too far of a stretch to think that we could hear something similar during our high school games.
That's a tough one but as JRut mentioned in his most recent post we just establish ground rules. I guess the main difference is he and I go into games knowing it might be used so it's not a major shock. We're both the same in that neither of us likes the word that much so making the kids aware of it - or more aware - is key. Usually a hard stare or a, "Young men, not today" clears up the problems if they're saying it - but not yelling it - to one another.

I've mentioned in other posts we have a "no profanity" policy in the NYC Public Schools (another debate for another time) so when we give a quick mention about sportsmanship in the pre-game meeting we'll remind players in schools where it may be an issue "that includes the N-word." I can say I've yet to have a problem.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 08:37am
Courageous When Prudent

I like the announcers in this video:

Renaldo Balkman banned for chokingteammate | SI Tracking Blog ? Tracking MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, and NCAA On Twitter
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The entire game is at this link: 2013 IHSA Boys Basketball 2A Championship - South Holland (Seton Academy) vs Harrisburg (Event): Illinois: PlayOn! Sports

My guess is the guy who wrote the column went overboard with how the game was handled but we can all watch for ourselves. I definitely don't like the fact he not only mentioned the officials' names but the towns in which they live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
In my state, he would face disciplinary action (withdrawn credentials, denial of future credentials) for such behavior.
While I don't like it, it is public knowledge as their pictures and towns are listed in the programs for sale at the arena (which I'm sure media get a [free?] copy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRef View Post
The Harrisburg kid that got a T said F'n N----- to the Setan Academy kid. So that warranted that T. Harrisburg coach, after being told what was said, said " I guess that warrants a T" and that was it. Sorry but if I am the coach I take him out and let him ride the pine until the end of the game. Doesnt matter who you are or what type of game it is. IMO
If that's what was said... this is an ejection, period.

For what it's worth I was at the game.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Becoming even bigger

This story has now gotten national attention.

Y! SPORTS
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

I hope you are not surprised.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
While I don't like it, it is public knowledge as their pictures and towns are listed in the programs for sale at the arena (which I'm sure media get a [free?] copy).
That's not a good idea, either. I would hope that's a practice the IHSA would reconsider since there's really nothing positive that come come of it.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That's not a good idea, either. I would hope that's a practice the IHSA would reconsider since there's really nothing positive that come come of it.
Why shouldn't the officials get recognized for their accomplishments the same way as the players and coaches do?
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why shouldn't the officials get recognized for their accomplishments the same way as the players and coaches do?
Because situations such as this may happen. We can acknowledge each other within our own associations.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 09:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Because situations such as this may happen. We can acknowledge each other within our own associations.
I'll take that chance, thank you. I've had my name and photo in various programs over the course of my career and have never had my life threatened and it doesn't concern me that someday it may happen, either.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with this as we are a big part of the game.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

While I don't mind publicizing names and even pictures; addresses and phone numbers? Really?