The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Louisville / NCAT video request (added)

Charge called at 8:14, 1st half. I'm guessing when the L sees this, he'll wish he had it over again. 2 feet down, but the upper body seems to be still sliding forward.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

While we're at it, the backcourt violation called at 7:46, 1st half.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

Yeah both were bad decisions. No LGP on the block/charge in the first vid. On the 2nd one the trail should have called the foul when the defender knocked the player into the backcourt.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:38am
Courageous When Prudent

1st play: Should have been a block but it wasn't the worst call I've ever seen. Sometimes we get 'em wrong.

2nd play: Should have been a foul. But it wasn't even a BC violation, no part of A1 was in the backcourt when he regained possession.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Play 1 should have been a "no call" & Play 2 should be a foul, but no B/C violation, maybe hard to see this from the position the new trail is, but, the heel does not touch in the backcourt.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
Yeah both were bad decisions. No LGP on the block/charge in the first vid. On the 2nd one the trail should have called the foul when the defender knocked the player into the backcourt.
Yep -- the foul caused an illegal dribble, and then I don't have the ball ever reaching the BC (but this part is very close).
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
1st play: Should have been a block but it wasn't the worst call I've ever seen. Sometimes we get 'em wrong.
Yes, looking at it a second time, this should have been a block. And, Yes we sometimes get 'em wrong.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yep -- the foul caused an illegal dribble, and then I don't have the ball ever reaching the BC (but this part is very close).
I don't see an illegal dribble...you could make a case for a travel as the right foot (pivot) is off the ground when he starts his dribble
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I don't see an illegal dribble...you could make a case for a travel as the right foot (pivot) is off the ground when he starts his dribble
yes, that's the part I saw. Just misspoke.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Interesting

Play 2 has a lot going on. Looks like a foul. However, if we pass on the foul, two things come to mind. If the ball leaving the offensive players hand is the start of a dribble, then we have a travel.

If the offensive player loses control of the ball and the ball hitting the ground is not the start of a dribble, he establishes backcourt status and doesn't regain frontcourt status before dribbling the ball. Team control maintained throughout...backcourt violation.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
he establishes backcourt status and doesn't regain frontcourt status before dribbling the ball.
Yes he does regain FC status -- foot on floor in FC, nothing touching the BC before he touches the ball.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes he does regain FC status -- foot on floor in FC, nothing touching the BC before he touches the ball.
It's close, I see back foot touching in backcourt at time of touching of the ball.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 09:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

2nd play: Should have been a foul. But it wasn't even a BC violation, no part of A1 was in the backcourt when he regained possession.
On the first one, I think the L was still moving and picked up the defender late. When that happens, we tend to go with the charge. I'm not ripping the guy, I just am looking at this to see what I can learn from it.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that none of us would have got that backcourt violation call correct. Even as I stop the play when the ball touches the hand it is nearly impossible to tell if that back foot is still on the ground or not.