The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Horn Goes Off During FT Attempt

State tourney game today in OT. Winning team shooting 2. During the first FT the horn accidentally goes off. Kid misses. Official does a "re-do." Opposing coach says the miss should stand.

I don't have my rulebook in front of me but I assume a re-do is permissable, correct?
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 11:05pm
#thereferee99

I had...

... a similar play recently.

A1 at the line. I bounce the ball to the thrower. He bounces the ball twice and eyes the rim. Horn sounds, a short burst like, "Hey ref!" from the table. I look at the thrower and he was completely unfazed. He wanted to shoot the ball. I just let it go, and he made the throw.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

The advice that I received on this years ago which has always served me well is to whistle the play dead as soon as you can unless the try has been released. This way you don't have to deal with any controversy should the shooter miss. You simply determine why the horn was sounded and then readminister the FT.
Takes all the needless drama out of it.

PS There is no rule, other than 2-3, which would permit a replacement FT in this situation.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

If the ball was in flight, I'd let the shot stand since the horn has no effect on the outcome.

If the shooter still has the ball, I'd whistle it dead and see what the issue was with the horn.

If the shooter was releasing the ball so close that I cannot whistle it dead in time, I'd determine if the shot was made to count it as the horn didn't cause any shooter effect. However, if it was missed, I would give a replacement throw since it could have effected the shooter.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Is this different than a kid bringing the ball up the floor and stopping when he hears the inadvertant horn? Dont we always tell them the whistle rules?
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Is this different than a kid bringing the ball up the floor and stopping when he hears the inadvertant horn? Dont we always tell them the whistle rules?
We do, but we also must practice common sense in some situations. If pretty much all the players on the court stop the blow it dead. Unless there is an exigent circumstance (ie. hard pressure on the ball handler) I would tend to blow the play dead.

After all my pregame with the table is hit the horn if there is any reason you need our attention and its important. this honestly comes up maybe once every 3-5 years. Inadvertent horns in varsity contests during live play has been rare for me.