The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 12:25pm
Ok is the new good

Assignor Visit after the game

Have some friends that work D1 and they told me that after some of their games the assignor will stop by locker room after the game to discuss a handful of plays etc.

At the state high school tourney here out west, friends who work these games tell me assignors from the state only come to locker room after game when something got messed up. Otherwise, no visit.

Has this been your expereince as well?
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 12:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not specific to playoffs, but it is very customary if an assignor or evaluator that comes to a game wants to talk to the officials, they do regardless of what they think about the game. In the playoffs we are assigned by a sports administrator that assigns everything, he often does not say anything either way if he shows up to a game.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Have some friends that work D1 and they told me that after some of their games the assignor will stop by locker room after the game to discuss a handful of plays etc.

At the state high school tourney here out west, friends who work these games tell me assignors from the state only come to locker room after game when something got messed up. Otherwise, no visit.

Has this been your expereince as well?
No, that's not what my friends who work D1 or state HS tourney tell me.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Same for me, at least as far as NCAA is concerned. If someone is there they'll introduce themselves before the game and may come in the dressing room at halftime.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Same for me, at least as far as NCAA is concerned. If someone is there they'll introduce themselves before the game and may come in the dressing room at halftime.
I will add that sometimes (most times?) it's a paid observer, not the actual assigner.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I will add that sometimes (most times?) it's a paid observer, not the actual assigner.
I'd be willing to guess it's most times. I've seen an assigner around every now and then but usually at scrimmages.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 03:31pm
TODO: creative title here

If a state observer comes to a game here in MN, you won't know it until a day or two afterwards when the observer contacts you with their report. (Unless you happen to recognize them in the stands, I suppose).

My association's assigner has shown up at several of my games over the the last couple of years, and he's pretty easy for me to spot. He usually comes to the locker room after games (or at halftime) with his observations.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Assignors - hit or miss, they are not always at the games

state observers - always come in for a visit after the game
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Had an older assignor here who passed away last year, great guy. Always went to games and popped into locker room before and after. He just wanted to stay close to the game and his brothers
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

The evaluators usually stop in after the game to chat about both positive and critical feedback.
NEVER at halftime unless an official is injured or there is some serious problem with some aspect of the game in the first half.
I also assign HS games including regional and state playoffs and barring the two situations listed above, I would not say anything to a crew during a contest other than "good job keep it up" if I casually passed by them during a break. I feel that it is improper for anyone to intrude upon a crew during a contest. Save the comments for afterward.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The evaluators usually stop in after the game to chat about both positive and critical feedback.
NEVER at halftime unless an official is injured or there is some serious problem with some aspect of the game in the first half.
I also assign HS games including regional and state playoffs and barring the two situations listed above, I would not say anything to a crew during a contest other than "good job keep it up" if I casually passed by them during a break. I feel that it is improper for anyone to intrude upon a crew during a contest. Save the comments for afterward.
+1

An evaluator has no business coming to the locker room at half time to discuss any situation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 11:30am
I miss being on the floor

I enjoyed working for one particular assignor because he made a concerted effort to see everyone work. On nights he wasn't working himself, he would hit up sometimes three different gyms in a night. I moved up quicker in his ranks because he came out to see me work. It's great to get some constructive criticism as well. I really respect that about him.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2013, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Big Brother ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I enjoyed working for one particular assignor because he made a concerted effort to see everyone work. On nights he wasn't working himself, he would hit up sometimes three different gyms in a night.
Same thing with my assigner, although he isn't a working official (by local board rule). He's out every afternoon, and night, observing officials. We have 325 officials in my local board and he has a pretty good idea about the level of competence of a very large percentage of them, which he uses to assign games (number of games, level of games, quality of games, etc.).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)