The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

"Continuous" issues...

I clipped these from some of the H.S. tournament games being shown on ESPN the past few days. IMO all five plays should have resulted in A1 receiving FTs but none of them did.

1. Thoughts?

2. This isn't to get on these officials. Watching the plays made me wonder if we, as a whole, adjudicate continuous motion as well as we should at the H.S. level and if not, why.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CosaNostra4Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I clipped these from some of the H.S. tournament games being shown on ESPN the past few days. IMO all five plays should have resulted in A1 receiving FTs but none of them did.

1. Thoughts?

2. This isn't to get on these officials. Watching the plays made me wonder if we, as a whole, adjudicate continuous motion as well as we should at the H.S. level and if not, why.

Most def all should've been shooting fouls.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

The only one I thought was even close was #3 - send them to the line!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

None of those are close IMO...all in the act of shooting. If I'm one of the calling officials in the double whistle plays, I'm telling my partner that I have those fouls in the act.

Too many officials view these type of plays and ruling them in the act as "NBA calls" and automatically take the ball out of bounds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CosaNostra4Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
None of those are close IMO...all in the act of shooting.

Too many officials view these type of plays and ruling them in the act as "NBA calls" and automatically take the ball out of bounds.

I totally agree!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:32pm
Official & Member

Agree on all 5. Additionally, calling officials in 2 and 5 are in terrible position to make the calls.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

1, 2, 4, and 5 are certainly shooting fouls. 3 probably is but is the only one that may not have been at the time of the actual foul....too close to say on that one.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Without even looking at these plays, I can tell you that, in general, officials do a VERY poor job of determining when the act of shooting begins.

Saw an official in a Jr Hi game actually say: "Coach, she wasn't in the act of shooting because she didn't get the ball above her shoulders".....ugh!

The "continuous motion rule" is actually the same at all levels: NBA, NCAA, NFHS.

fwiw... I'll watch the plays now....
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Without even looking at these plays, I can tell you that, in general, officials do a VERY poor job of determining when the act of shooting begins.

Saw an official in a Jr Hi game actually say: "Coach, she wasn't in the act of shooting because she didn't get the ball above her shoulders".....ugh!

The "continuous motion rule" is actually the same at all levels: NBA, NCAA, NFHS.

fwiw... I'll watch the plays now....
Just as I suspected.....ALL plays were incorrectly called (re:continuous motion).
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

All of these were incorrectly called. Sad, but that is what officials tend to do in these situations.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

I can at least see an argument on #3 - though I still think it's shooting - but the rest seem pretty clear cut. Especially #5 - how that wasn't called a shooting foul, I have no idea.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

1,2,3 send them to the line.

4,5 if the contact is during the shooting motion then send them. There is arms and pushing in both prior to any motion and on a patient whistle they may be going back and getting that.

Based on when the whistles occured in each though I'm sending them to the line.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

So are we - as H.S. officials - worried we'll take grief for making "NBA calls?"

What bothered me even more about these plays is they're in the playoffs. I would assume - based on my own experiences - playoff officials have some level of college experience so they should have worked out the kinks on these calls.

I agree with the idea of forcefully suggesting to the calling officials that A1 was in the act ("Joe, you have her/him shooting?!"). Maybe it jolts them a little to realize what they should do. In #3 it would've been tough because the calling official (the L) was waving it off so emphatically. At any rate, all five had me shouting "What?!" when I saw them the first time.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 09:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
So are we - as H.S. officials - worried we'll take grief for making "NBA calls?"

What bothered me even more about these plays is they're in the playoffs. I would assume - based on my own experiences - playoff officials have some level of college experience so they should have worked out the kinks on these calls.
The college thing would not be a factor here and honestly I see HS only guys love to wave off shots. And in my experience a lot of college guys around this part of the country (what they tell me) is they do not work a lot of HS ball at all.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 09:21pm
NFHS Official

1,2,4, and 5 for certain. On 3, looks like the shooting motion started after the foul.