The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Continuous" issues... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94242-continuous-issues.html)

JetMetFan Sun Mar 03, 2013 05:51pm

"Continuous" issues...

I clipped these from some of the H.S. tournament games being shown on ESPN the past few days. IMO all five plays should have resulted in A1 receiving FTs but none of them did.

1. Thoughts?

2. This isn't to get on these officials. Watching the plays made me wonder if we, as a whole, adjudicate continuous motion as well as we should at the H.S. level and if not, why.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E-EB5VFDmZk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CosaNostra4Life Sun Mar 03, 2013 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 882853)
I clipped these from some of the H.S. tournament games being shown on ESPN the past few days. IMO all five plays should have resulted in A1 receiving FTs but none of them did.

1. Thoughts?

2. This isn't to get on these officials. Watching the plays made me wonder if we, as a whole, adjudicate continuous motion as well as we should at the H.S. level and if not, why.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E-EB5VFDmZk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Most def all should've been shooting fouls.

Drizzle Sun Mar 03, 2013 05:59pm

The only one I thought was even close was #3 - send them to the line!

APG Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:20pm

None of those are close IMO...all in the act of shooting. If I'm one of the calling officials in the double whistle plays, I'm telling my partner that I have those fouls in the act.

Too many officials view these type of plays and ruling them in the act as "NBA calls" and automatically take the ball out of bounds.

CosaNostra4Life Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 882860)
None of those are close IMO...all in the act of shooting.

Too many officials view these type of plays and ruling them in the act as "NBA calls" and automatically take the ball out of bounds.

I totally agree!

Bad Zebra Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:32pm

Agree on all 5. Additionally, calling officials in 2 and 5 are in terrible position to make the calls.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:53pm

1, 2, 4, and 5 are certainly shooting fouls. 3 probably is but is the only one that may not have been at the time of the actual foul....too close to say on that one.

twocentsworth Sun Mar 03, 2013 07:27pm

Without even looking at these plays, I can tell you that, in general, officials do a VERY poor job of determining when the act of shooting begins.

Saw an official in a Jr Hi game actually say: "Coach, she wasn't in the act of shooting because she didn't get the ball above her shoulders".....ugh!

The "continuous motion rule" is actually the same at all levels: NBA, NCAA, NFHS.

fwiw... I'll watch the plays now....

twocentsworth Sun Mar 03, 2013 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 882874)
Without even looking at these plays, I can tell you that, in general, officials do a VERY poor job of determining when the act of shooting begins.

Saw an official in a Jr Hi game actually say: "Coach, she wasn't in the act of shooting because she didn't get the ball above her shoulders".....ugh!

The "continuous motion rule" is actually the same at all levels: NBA, NCAA, NFHS.

fwiw... I'll watch the plays now....

Just as I suspected.....ALL plays were incorrectly called (re:continuous motion).

JRutledge Sun Mar 03, 2013 07:38pm

All of these were incorrectly called. Sad, but that is what officials tend to do in these situations.

Peace

scrounge Sun Mar 03, 2013 07:42pm

I can at least see an argument on #3 - though I still think it's shooting - but the rest seem pretty clear cut. Especially #5 - how that wasn't called a shooting foul, I have no idea.

Pantherdreams Sun Mar 03, 2013 07:50pm

1,2,3 send them to the line.

4,5 if the contact is during the shooting motion then send them. There is arms and pushing in both prior to any motion and on a patient whistle they may be going back and getting that.

Based on when the whistles occured in each though I'm sending them to the line.

JetMetFan Sun Mar 03, 2013 08:55pm

So are we - as H.S. officials - worried we'll take grief for making "NBA calls?"

What bothered me even more about these plays is they're in the playoffs. I would assume - based on my own experiences - playoff officials have some level of college experience so they should have worked out the kinks on these calls.

I agree with the idea of forcefully suggesting to the calling officials that A1 was in the act ("Joe, you have her/him shooting?!"). Maybe it jolts them a little to realize what they should do. In #3 it would've been tough because the calling official (the L) was waving it off so emphatically. At any rate, all five had me shouting "What?!" :eek: when I saw them the first time.

JRutledge Sun Mar 03, 2013 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 882883)
So are we - as H.S. officials - worried we'll take grief for making "NBA calls?"

What bothered me even more about these plays is they're in the playoffs. I would assume - based on my own experiences - playoff officials have some level of college experience so they should have worked out the kinks on these calls.

The college thing would not be a factor here and honestly I see HS only guys love to wave off shots. And in my experience a lot of college guys around this part of the country (what they tell me) is they do not work a lot of HS ball at all.

Peace

OKREF Sun Mar 03, 2013 09:21pm

1,2,4, and 5 for certain. On 3, looks like the shooting motion started after the foul.