The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Pre-free throw hand fighting

Tried searching the forum, but to no avail. The usual hand fighting before a free throw, and you say "knock it off" or "we'll shoot when you're ready". What if they keep it up? Contact during a dead ball, technical foul?

Does it fall under ignoring a request of an official, delay of game, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:36am
Medium Kahuna

"Knock it off" usually does the trick.

Before calling a foul, remember that contact alone is not illegal. The contact must disadvantage an opponent.

I would be HIGHLY unlikely to call a T for "failing to follow an instruction" for this. It would have to have gone on all game despite repeated warnings, common fouls, etc. and be verging on fighting for me to go there.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:40am
Official & Member

Instead of "knock it off", Try "if either of you reaches across this line (make a vertical motion between them), I'm calling a foul". If they do...call a foul...or double foul if necessary. That usually does the trick. Once the ball is bounced to shooter, it's a live ball, so a T isn't necessary.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 10:44am.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
I simply go to the offender, state, while pointing at the lane space, "See that line, well there is an imaginary plane that extends up and you can't put your hand or foot for that matter through that plane before the ball hits the rim" then depending on the team A or B, I saw we'll cancel the attempt or shoot the shot over again if the shooter misses.

If it is prior to the shooter having the ball I "Stare them down" and like you stated say knock it off, or when you are done we'll start this thing.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

If I witness chicken fighting during a free throw I'll walk up to them and say something along the lines of "Guys, we're not going to reach over these lines until the ball hits the rim (or the release, for NCAAM), RIGHT?" I've just started doing this this season and it's worked every time so far. They'll usually look at you, nod and knock it off.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:49am
Courageous When Prudent

"Knock it off". If they don't listen then I'll find a foul to call on the next missed free throw.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:50am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
I simply go to the offender, state, while pointing at the lane space, "See that line, well there is an imaginary plane that extends up and you can't put your hand or foot for that matter through that plane before the ball hits the rim"
Don't tell them that: it's wrong by rule.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

GV game: Ready to administer free throw, B1 and A2 next to each other in lane spaces, doing the "my arm on top of your arm, then your arm on top of my arm" thing. I step towards them and smiling, say, " Hey, knock off the sword fighting!" Everybody laughs, and there's no more problem.

BV game, similar antics, I step to the 2 players involved, and say just loudly enough so they can hear me, " You guys know, that what you're doing is the same as stepping in early." I smile, and shrug my shoulders. No more problem.

Sometimes, it's the words we choose, and the way we deliver the message.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
GV game: Ready to administer free throw, B1 and A2 next to each other in lane spaces, doing the "my arm on top of your arm, then your arm on top of my arm" thing. I step towards them and smiling, say, " Hey, knock off the sword fighting!" Everybody laughs, and there's no more problem.

BV game, similar antics, I step to the 2 players involved, and say just loudly enough so they can hear me, " You guys know, that what you're doing is the same as stepping in early." I smile, and shrug my shoulders. No more problem.

Sometimes, it's the words we choose, and the way we deliver the message.
I've also used "If you guys want to hold hands, prom is in a couple of months."

If you just let them know you're watching, then it will stop, even if there's nothing (yet) illegal about it.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 11:02am
Back from the DL

I'd like to know how much "pre" of the free throw it is. Once the ball is in the shooter's hands, the ball is live, and technicals are pretty much off the table (cursing/taunting notwithstanding).

I had one of these a few years ago. Ball in shooter's (A-1) hands, B-2 and A-2 are hand jostling, to the point where B-2 yells "QUIT IT!" as A-1 releases.

Tweet, basket good, foul on you, and foul on you. Let's go.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 12:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
BV game, similar antics, I step to the 2 players involved, and say just loudly enough so they can hear me, " You guys know, that what you're doing is the same as stepping in early." I smile, and shrug my shoulders.
I don't get this. It's not the same as stepping in early. If one grabs the other's hand, call the hold. If one slaps the other, call that. But I don't understand why officials want to make up rules to make their job easier.

If "knock it off" doesn't work, embarrass them. Next time they do it, stand in front of them with the ball, staring at them. When they stop, ask them if they're done. Or Bob's prom joke works, too.

If there's a foul, call it (even if you have to go Double Foul).
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

"Will you guys stop playing patty cake with each other?"

Usually that gets the message and they stop excessiveness.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
I simply go to the offender, state, while pointing at the lane space, "See that line, well there is an imaginary plane that extends up and you can't put your hand or foot for that matter through that plane before the ball hits the rim" then depending on the team A or B, I saw we'll cancel the attempt or shoot the shot over again if the shooter misses.
Good idea except for the fact that the rules don't require that any player keep their hands inside their plane....only the feet/legs.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 02:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Patty Cake Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Before calling a foul, remember that contact alone is not illegal. The contact must disadvantage an opponent.
2012-13 NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS

4) Guidelines to enforce illegal contact. Escalating fight situations can often be traced back to illegal contact not being properly enforced and penalized. Examples of illegal contact are:
Contact between players in free throw lane spaces prior to the ball contacting the ring a. It is illegal to physically contact an opponent prior to the ball legally contacting the ring.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 02, 2013 at 02:24am.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 02:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Any Other Rules Officials Want To Make Up ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Good idea except for the fact that the rules don't require that any player keep their hands inside their plane, only the feet/legs.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for posting. You'd be surprised at the number of officials that don't quite understand this simple concept. If I may do a little nit picking, please? The rule only applies to the feet, not the legs.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)