Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
I simply go to the offender, state, while pointing at the lane space, "See that line, well there is an imaginary plane that extends up and you can't put your hand or foot for that matter through that plane before the ball hits the rim" then depending on the team A or B, I saw we'll cancel the attempt or shoot the shot over again if the shooter misses.

If it is prior to the shooter having the ball I "Stare them down" and like you stated say knock it off, or when you are done we'll start this thing.
Yes, they can. You are making up a rule which doesn't exist.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If "knock it off" doesn't work, embarrass them. Next time they do it, stand in front of them with the ball, staring at them.
This is my preferred method, in either order. The staring tends to work pretty well.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 08:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
"Will you guys stop playing patty cake with each other?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"If you guys want to hold hands, prom is in a couple of months."
Has Padgett hacked these accounts?

I'm gonna try and remember some of these......
Old Sat Mar 02, 2013, 06:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
GV game: Ready to administer free throw, B1 and A2 next to each other in lane spaces, doing the "my arm on top of your arm, then your arm on top of my arm" thing. I step towards them and smiling, say, " Hey, knock off the sword fighting!" Everybody laughs, and there's no more problem.

BV game, similar antics, I step to the 2 players involved, and say just loudly enough so they can hear me, " You guys know, that what you're doing is the same as stepping in early." I smile, and shrug my shoulders. No more problem.

Sometimes, it's the words we choose, and the way we deliver the message.
I have used the "sword fighting" lingo myself from time to time.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

In regards to the hand fighting as the free throw shooter is holding the ball, and it so bad that a foul is called, what happens to the free throw? If Team A is shooting, and a kid from Team A is called for pushing on the lane, does the foul negate the shots?

Never seen it, and don't anticipate it, but these things always get me thinking, plus it's late!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lots Of Variables ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicodork View Post
In regards to the hand fighting as the free throw shooter is holding the ball, and it so bad that a foul is called, what happens to the free throw? If Team A is shooting, and a kid from Team A is called for pushing on the lane, does the foul negate the shots?
Continuous motion applies here; and whether, or not, the foul is by the free throw shooting team, or the nonshooting team; and whether, or not, the free throw has been released when the foul occurs; or whether, or not, the free throw shooter is in the act of shooting when the foul occurs.

I don't believe that a foul will ever "negate" a free throw, only a violation by the shooting team will "negate" a free throw.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I work JV and J-high and it seems you see more of this during the girls games. One time I warned the girls about not violating the principle of verticality and of course they look at me like I'm from Mars, but by the tone they seem to understand they needed to knock it off. Next time we went up to the free throw line, the shooter had the ball and the other six on the blocks all had hands straight up like they were in a bank being robbed. This sight did not go unnoticed by the amused crowd.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 03:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lane Space Principle Of Verticality ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
One time I warned the girls about not violating the principle of verticality ... the other six on the blocks all had hands straight up like they were in a bank being robbed.
The players only have marked lane space "verticality" restrictions on their feet. Heads, elbows, shoulders, hands, hips, and knees can go through any plane, short of contact.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 03:23pm.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 03:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sugar And Spice, And Everything Nice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
You see more of this during the girls games.
Agree. Why?

Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 03:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Carl Douglas Made Me Do It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Free throw hand fighting.
Sorry guys, but every time I read the title of this thread, I kept thinking of this song. I tried, but eventually succumbed. I'm weak. I'm very, very weak.

Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 03:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. Why?
The same reason they insist on twisting in their lane space and sticking their heel in the air. The same reason they yell "ball ball ball" on defense and keep a pivot foot on a throw in.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 03:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hormones ???

Quote:
The same reason they insist on twisting in their lane space and sticking their heel in the air. The same reason they yell "ball ball ball" on defense and keep a pivot foot on a throw in.
... and that reason is?

Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 07:55pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I had this at the last game I officiated for the season (JV Boys makeup). I said something a bit more diplomatic than "knock it off" to let them know it needed to stop. Thankfully, they got the message and stopped.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:59am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
And pull their shorts up and stick their 2" strip of jersey on their shoulder in their bra strap so it doesn't "get in the way."