The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:20pm
I miss being on the floor

I'll be Seeing These Guys Tomorrow

Broadcasting, not officiating. Should be fun...

Referees and Grafton coaching staff confrontation during Wisconsin high school basketball game - YouTube

Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I always was sort of envious of officials that get to work the playoffs.....maybe not so much anymore .

Good luck man,
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I give them credit for trying to take care of business but why so much conversation with so many of the assistant coaches? I had to watch twice just to figure out the guy with the suit on was the HC.

They should have only been addressing the HC, especially after sticking his bench.

And it looks like someone from GM of the home team gets involved with the visiting bench. That really shouldnt be happening unless he's asked to do so.

And FWIW, I think the kid definitely got fouled on the shot. Tough to see in 2-man but he got hit.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:14pm
Official & Member

Wow. Was game management involved in that mess? Way too much discussion with the bench by the officials...and holy cr@p! How many assistants were on that bench? Looked like they had more coaches than players.

If you're going to whack 'em...do it and move on. This looked like a nightmare in the making.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 10:23pm.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:33pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Wow. Was game management involved in that mess? Way too much discussion with the bench by the officials...and holy cr@p! How many assistants were on that bench? Looked like they had more coaches than players.

If you're going to whack 'em...do it and move on. This looked like a nightmare in the making.
I had the same thought about the number of coaches on that bench! Good grief.

And no clue why at least one of those assistant coaches wasn't tossed. Possibly even two or three.

And also no clue why the two refs stuck around that bench area for so long. The young looking guy with the "Sit down now!" repeated three or four times really cracked me up.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with most of what has already been said here, but what I'm curious about is which AC got the T (video cuts away)....reason I'm asking is if it's the one who I think got it, it looks like he was in the huddle(s) when the officials were talking to the HC.

Going into the throng of players and coaches there at the end of the quarter to talk to the AC....bad.

Continuing to talk to AC/HC combo (I too took awhile to realize the person in the suit was the HC) even worse.

In that situation best to let the HC know that before any conversation takes place that he needs to get his bench under control. Then we can have a conversation...

I'd be curious to know if bench decorum had been dealt with before this sequence of events...2 minutes in a youtube clip just doesn't explain show what happened before (and I'd bet this was going on prior to this play)...
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
Agree with most of what has already been said here, but what I'm curious about is which AC got the T (video cuts away)....reason I'm asking is if it's the one who I think got it, it looks like he was in the huddle(s) when the officials were talking to the HC.

Going into the throng of players and coaches there at the end of the quarter to talk to the AC....bad.

Continuing to talk to AC/HC combo (I too took awhile to realize the person in the suit was the HC) even worse.

In that situation best to let the HC know that before any conversation takes place that he needs to get his bench under control. Then we can have a conversation...

I'd be curious to know if bench decorum had been dealt with before this sequence of events...2 minutes in a youtube clip just doesn't explain show what happened before (and I'd bet this was going on prior to this play)...
+1

Especially the bolded.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

+1 on everything that has been said. This is waaaay too much interaction with the assistants. I wouldn't entertain the HC at all unless the howler monkeys were under control first. Chances are, with the way they were acting, at least one of them wouldn't be around very long anyway.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Seriously, what was there to explain for that long while in the team's bench area? "Coach, assistant #X picked up the T for complaining and it needs to stop." Heck, I doubt I'd even say that much.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post

In IL, you're allowed 15 team members, and 22 total "bench personnel plus players". The V team often brings the S and F coaches to the playoffs. Since those coaches are used to standing / actively coaching (vs. assisting), it can lead to some interesting dynamics.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Others have said it...a case of way too many assistants. I'd bet at least a couple are former HC's that, for what ever reason (I'd offer a guess), lost that position and cannot behave benchside like an assistant should.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Broadcasting, not officiating. Should be fun...
Who are you seeing tomorrow? The Grafton team or the officials from this game?
Was this a playoff game?
Does your area have consolation games? The video shows that despite leading 36-35 at the end of 3 qtrs, Grafton scored a whopping 9 points in the fourth and surrendered 20 to lose 55-45.

BTW I don't see the whole scene as that chaotic. It isn't good behavior. It isn't smoothly handled by the crew, but the officials don't seem to lose composure. Strangely, there is some person, possibly and admin, who comes over behind the bench and chastises the coaches, then gets shooed away. Don't know his role or if he made things better or worse, but doubtful that he is someone for the officials to worry about. I don't believe that he is a coach from the opposing team. I could be mistaken here.

Bottom line: a T was issued, the officials heard some from the staff, it was passed the time to walk away and get on with administering the game.
I wouldn't have any ejections. I've seen far worse behavior from coaches.
By penalizing this and keeping it to only one T and just 2 FTs, the officials seemed to be doing the fair thing for the kids involved.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Apparently this is also a conference that decided to revert to 2-man and most of the experienced officials decided to not work the conference.

Good on them for the technical, but after that there's no reason not to get out of there and go opposite the benches until it's time to shoot the free throws. If an assistant is going to get run, let it happen from a distance.

And this was a regular season game. Some teams have a lot of coaches on the bench. Not in our purview. Also, even if they are head coaches at other levels, there's a seat belt rule in WI for all but varsity head coaches. JV and FR coaches have to sit with the exceptions listed in the rules.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the extra info Rich.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I can't imagine having this much conversation with anyone other than the HC. If they want to have that many assistants and said assistants want to run their mouths, whack-em-all!! That is just crazy. How they got out of that sequence with just one T is amazing.

BTW, who is the dude in the pullover that comes in at the end? He must have been from the home school by the way they were heckling him. He didn't help matters by being hot headed when he got there.

Last edited by ballgame99; Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 12:19pm.