The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Slowing it down tomorrow.

Big tournament in the area tomorrow. I've been doing boys U-17 and high school girls all Spring. I usually do U-14 and up in tournaments. Tomorrow I have 5 games -- all U-9 or U-10 boys and girls. First time this has ever happened. Needless to say, this will be an interesting change of pace (and speed.) Should be a fun experience. I just hope it doesn't rain all day!
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I'm getting this on Wednesday, so you probably are allready done with them. I hope you had a good time. That age group is a blast.

You should probably know too that those kids looked up to you and appreciated the skill you brought to thier games.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it was fun. The weather was comfortable the first morning games, but as the wind picked up it got really cold. by the afternoon. I did 2 U-17 boys last night. First game, both teams came out way too physical and too pumped up. They were more worried about playing each other than the ball. At a dead ball got both teams attention and gave them strong warning to "tone it down now!" Gave 4 yellow cards. Quite a change from Saturday!

Last edited by refnrev; Thu May 18, 2006 at 10:09am.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Hey refnrev,

I'm one of these guys who learns by mixing experience with study, so please bear with my endless questions.

So what exactly was the sequence? You told both teams to "tone it down" but they kept playing rough anyway? How were they playing each other (holding, pushing, charging, what....)

What were the cautions for? Unsporting behavior, dissent ....

Did the cautions happen shortly after? Did you use the cautions to send a message (that you're not goint to put up with any more)? Is that an effective stratagy for game management?

Did it work? Did the kids get back to soccer?

I think of some games I've had and asked myself if I should have issued a caution at a point in time, and if that would have helped the situation. I think I've only given 4 in the last year.

Please don't underestimate the value of your information, it really helps me gage if I am on track or not. Thanks for all your help.