The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
I am a new official and I am doing my first game tomorrow, two of them actually, at the middle school level. I coached that level for a few years so I know to expect anything and everything. Any advice?

I survived my floor test but I was so concerned with getting positioning right that I missed several calls. It was hard with someone screaming in my ear all night telling me where to be standing and stuff. I hope that doesn't happen tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the Ranks DSTURDY

Quote:
Originally posted by dsturdy5
I am a new official and I am doing my first game tomorrow, two of them actually, at the middle school level. I coached that level for a few years so I know to expect anything and everything. Any advice?

I survived my floor test but I was so concerned with getting positioning right that I missed several calls. It was hard with someone screaming in my ear all night telling me where to be standing and stuff. I hope that doesn't happen tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.
There are many obvious things that I can tell you about the first game, let me mention one that is sometimes overlooked (Pun Intended).
BEFORE PUTTING THE BALL INTO PLAY MAKE SURE YOU ESTABLISH EYE CONTACT WITH YOUR PARTNER!

The other thing is SLOW DOWN...... The game cannot until you and your partner are ready.

Have FUN!!
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile First Game

I remember my first game last year. I was a nervous wreck. I officiated middle school games as well. I was trying so hard to do everything right. First thing do not be in a hurry to blow your whistle. We as first time officials can't wait to make that first call. Make sure a violation or foul was committed. All I can say relax have fun trust your partner and call what you see. Also, every game you do work on a different mechanic and you will vastly improve. The more games you do the better you will become. Have fun.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Blow your whistle loudly, and put your hand (or fist) up sharply at the same time. Stop that clock with a strong mechanic because this shows your are confident in your call (even if you are not). Don't tell anyone it is your first game (even your partner). And, then don't tell anyone it's only your second game...etc...

Relax, SLOW down, have fun. Good luck.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

best of luck...slow down,breath, and relax and you should do fine

Cheers

AD
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Don't anticipate,let the game come to you.At that level there is going to be a lot of sloppy play, so just take the time to be sure you know what the right call is. And sometimes the best call is a no call.Last but not least, Have fun!!
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

You made a good point that sometimes happens when an official is worried about being in the right spot "don't forget to referee". Don't be so worried about position that you forget to call the game. Do, however, know what your primary area of responsibility is and don't make a habit of calling fouls and violations in your partner's lap. Slow down, hold your whistle an extra split second on those close calls, you will find that many of them can be no calls. When you do blow your whistle, pause for a split second, tell your partner what your call is in a voice so that the players and coaches will likely know also, then hustle,don't hurry, to the table to report. Nobody is going anywhere til you get done, did I mention slow down?
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Just as Zebra44 mentioned, don't anticipate. I remember my first game and several thereafter where I anticipated the foul. A cardinal mistake and one that is easy to make as a rookie official. Take your time! I was always in a rush to make the call. Slow down. In the case of fouls, make sure you relay the correct information to your partner prior to rushing off to the table. Verbally let them know the shooter's number and visually let them know how many free throws they will be attempting. If a throw in is the result of the foul, indicate the throw in spot. There is nothing worse than wondering what your partner has and how the ball is next to be put in play. As for letting your partner know it is your first game, why not. He may get that impression anyway! I always told my partner I was a first and even second year official. Many officials will not comment on your game unless you specifically let them know you are looking for their help. Learn from the experienced officials. They were once in your shoes. Have a great game and enjoy!
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Watch Veteran Officials!

Great advice by all...BUT, something you can do to improve yourself has nothing to do with what YOU do on the court.
It has to do with Veteran Officials!
Go to a Varsity Game, watch the Veterans work.
You will pick up a whole lot of "stuff" that you never even thought of as a fan watching the game.
* Court coverage
* Mechanics
* Dead ball positioning (where the officials stand, etc.)
* How to "look" confident in your calls
* Hustle (or lack of)
* Free Throw administration
* Time out administration
* Handling Coaches and Players
There is a whole host of information you can get just by going to a game and watching the Vets. Also, go in the locker room at half time and just listen. Hear what the Vets are talking about...heck, they might even ask you your opinion on a play. (BTW, don't go in the locker room spouting off that they missed something...go in there to learn.)
Good Luck!

Dude
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

DSTURDY

How did it go?
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Thanks for all of your input. I survived. I had two games one sixth grade girls and one eighth grade girls. Both games were rather physical. The assigner for the league messed up and had three games going on with four new officials so my partner and I were both rookies. We did all right for ourselves I think. We missed a few in the early game but it was 26-4 at half time and we really didn't effect the game. The second game was tougher. Bigger kids, harder calls. The coaches of one of the teams was all over us from the beginning.

I had a play where I was the lead and player 1 on team A is going in for a shot and is obviously pushed. Neither my parter nor I could see who did it. Neither one of us blew the whistle. After the ball goes up the other end and team B is now shooting ft's the player 1 on team A said to me, "watch the pushes underneath." I told her, "I saw you hit the floor but couldn't see what happened so I didn't call it." Was I all right in how I handled her? Should I have ignored it or spoke with her on the side as she was inbounding the ball? What is the propper way to handle a player in that situation who is really frustrated?
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 08:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I had a play where I was the lead and player 1 on team A is going in for a shot and is obviously pushed. Neither my parter nor I could see who did it. Neither one of us blew the whistle. After the ball goes up the other end and team B is now shooting ft's the player 1 on team A said to me, "watch the pushes underneath." I told her, "I saw you hit the floor but couldn't see what happened so I didn't call it." Was I all right in how I handled her? Should I have ignored it or spoke with her on the side as she was inbounding the ball? What is the propper way to handle a player in that situation who is really frustrated?
dsturdy5,

Replace, "I saw you hit the floor but couldn't see what happened so I didn't call it."
with, "Okay, I will."

Or, ... for a big smash and crash, call it on the closest defender.

mick
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 09:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

dsturdy5,

Replace, "I saw you hit the floor but couldn't see what happened so I didn't call it."
with, "Okay, I will."

Or, ... for a big smash and crash, call it on the closest defender.

mick
I agree with mick, as usual. I think a good response, if one is given at all, should be something not too strong like he said, "Okay, I will," or something that spreads the blame around: "Mr. Ref, 33 is pushing." "Yeah, I see a lot of pushing on both sides." The main thing to remember is that you are not obligated to explain or justify a call to anyone. Also, there are so many things which defy explanation. One kid slaps another on the arm, everybody in the building hears the slap, you can see individual finger marks on the arm as the shooter attempts his free throws, but the first kid's mother screams, "You blind so and so, he didn't touch anything but the ball." This is why we get the big bucks.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome Dsturdy 5,

I started last year and the learning curve was pretty steep.
It still is. I actually enjoy reffing as much as I enjoyed playing (when I was a younger man). This board can be quite helpful.

My comment regarding yor situation is similar, use as few words as possible when talking to players and coaches, yet at the same let them know that you will be looking for that the next time down the floor.

As for general advice. Appear confident with calls even when you're not. I worked with a veteran official from our association who does not have a good reputation with coaches. The main thing I noticed with him was that his mechanics were not smooth and his body language made him seem unsure of himself with most calls. I have a feeling a major reason why he is not liked by most coaches is that he does not visually appear to be a good official. With that perception, it doesn't matter what he calls, people will think it is the wrong call.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum I have found it very interesting an informative. Everyone's advice has been excellant but I will add something I found helpful.
Keep a log of your game a sort of a diary and include plays you remember that were difficult or confusing or you just didn't know what to call. It doesn't have to be a five page report but a paragraph or even a few thoughts. Review them on occasion and see if there is a common thread.