The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:11am
I miss being on the floor

Working without a license?

Someone on a fanboy board I read is claiming that they're a former official, and where he is you only need to be licensed to work Varsity ball. All other levels, no license is required.

BS meter went off, but I thought I'd post the question here. Are there any states where this is true?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Someone on a fanboy board I read is claiming that they're a former official, and where he is you only need to be licensed to work Varsity ball. All other levels, no license is required.

BS meter went off, but I thought I'd post the question here. Are there any states where this is true?
My state does not utilize an officiating license system. Officials who want to work basketball (or any other sport) at the HS varsity level apply for membership to that particular sport's officiating board. They then go through whatever process that board has in place for a new member to attain varsity status.

So yes, we don't need a 'license' to work varsity, but we need to be a member of the officiating board(s) for whatever varsity sport(s) we work.

Board membership is not a prerequisite for working a sport at the JV, frosh, or MS levels.

Last edited by KJUmp; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29am.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:34am
Courageous When Prudent

There are no licenses in Virginia. We register with the state and based upon the NFHS test and completing the clinic you are either "certified" (scored 80+ and finished clinic), "approved" (scored 70-79 and finished clinic), or "registered" (either failed or did not take test OR did not finish clinic).

Need to be "certified" to work post-season Varsity games; "approved" to work regular season Varsity games; "registered" to work JV games. These only apply to public high school (VHSL) games. Private schools and middle schools don't fall under VHSL. But I believe it's common for private schools to include VHSL certification requirements for their varsity contracts.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:49am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There are no licenses in Virginia. We register with the state and based upon the NFHS test and completing the clinic you are either "certified" (scored 80+ and finished clinic), "approved" (scored 70-79 and finished clinic), or "registered" (either failed or did not take test OR did not finish clinic).

Need to be "certified" to work post-season Varsity games; "approved" to work regular season Varsity games; "registered" to work JV games. These only apply to public high school (VHSL) games. Private schools and middle schools don't fall under VHSL. But I believe it's common for private schools to include VHSL certification requirements for their varsity contracts.
Florida is very similar...terminology a little different...Rank 1,2 or 3. There is also an element of experience added in addition to test scores to determine ranking. Both public and private schools are sanctioned by the state and use the same pool of officials.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

In Missouri, schools have to use certified/registered (Same thing here) officials for every contest from JH to Varsity. You take the Part 1 test when you first register for a sport, then the Part 2 every year you re-register. Passing the Part 2 along with a rules meeting re-certifies you every year. Schools can be penalized for not using state-certified officials for their games. Private schools who are a part of the state governing body (Almost all of them) have to use state-certified officials like everyone else.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Missouri also requires a background check every year in order to get registered, in addition to the testing and clinics.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Every state may call it something different, but I know of no state that doesn't require licensing of some sort (registration, certification, etc) for varsity high school games. In Iowa, such licensing was required for at least one of the two Jr. High officials, and both officials in all high school games. In Colorado, I believe all high school games require officials to be registered with CHSAA, and thus IAABO. MS games have no such requirement.

It's possible that in some states the registration requirements only apply to varsity games.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:52am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Every state may call it something different, but I know of no state that doesn't require licensing of some sort (registration, certification, etc) for varsity high school games. In Iowa, such licensing was required for at least one of the two Jr. High officials, and both officials in all high school games. In Colorado, I believe all high school games require officials to be registered with CHSAA, and thus IAABO. MS games have no such requirement.

It's possible that in some states the registration requirements only apply to varsity games.
That was going to be part of my reply here...

Let me word the question better: Is it possible, in any state, for some random dude to walk in off the street wearing stripes and ref a game? Or does everyone have to be registered with the state?

I define registration with the state as paying whatever fees, taking whatever tests, etc.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me word the question better: Is it possible, in any state, for some random dude to walk in off the street wearing stripes and ref a game? Or does everyone have to be registered with the state?

I define registration with the state as paying whatever fees, taking whatever tests, etc.
Yes. It is possible and happens in states where there is no formal "licensing" or "registration" procedure.

I work in such a state. That does not mean anyone can walk off the street and officiate, since assignors are responsible to the schools for the folks they put on the court.

Now...are you talking high school? Or are you asking about AAU, travel, youth leagues?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Sure, it's possible. In particular, a few states have schools (private schools) that don't belong to the state association and are thus not facing the same requirements for their officials. Not that they don't have an interest in hiring the best officials they can.

To know for sure, you'd have to check whichever state this poster was claiming to be from.

It does sound fishy, though, since even if it was allowed, very few schools would be willing to hire some schmo from the street.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sure, it's possible. In particular, a few states have schools (private schools) that don't belong to the state association and are thus not facing the same requirements for their officials. Not that they don't have an interest in hiring the best officials they can.

To know for sure, you'd have to check whichever state this poster was claiming to be from.

It does sound fishy, though, since even if it was allowed, very few schools would be willing to hire some schmo from the street.

Well which states allows that to take place? With all the association assigning on this site, are there really places that give games to someone theoretically off the street? At least in my state we are assigned multiple ways and not through local officials associations.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post

Now...are you talking high school? Or are you asking about AAU, travel, youth leagues?
I do not think he is talking about anything but HS for the simple fact I doubt seriously any state is sanctioning AAU, travel or even JH in most cases. And in my state you would not work those games without being a licensed or experienced official as those who assign look for those that have a license in HS or work a lot of college.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it possible, in any state, for some random dude to walk in off the street wearing stripes and ref a game? Or does everyone have to be registered with the state?.
Honestly, I have done EXACTLY that, albeit in a different sport. I was attending a Freshman baseball game out of state to watch a family member play. They had a baseball game and softball game going on fields close to each other (walking distance). The baseball game had 1 umpire through two innings.

I have no idea how this communication happened, but apparently my family member's dad made it known to the softball people that I had many years under my belt for both youth and HS softball - and one of the umpires there apparently did both - so he came over and did the rest of the baseball game and I did the bases for the softball game. I even had a shirt and pants, although not my official shoes (or indicatorcrutchaclicker or brush) - I worked in the tennis shoes I was wearing, and felt funny about it the whole game.

The interesting thing to me was that while I never filled out diddly for paperwork - they got my info from the family member and sent me a $90 check.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes.

In Oregon, the OSAA only requires that schools use state sanctioned (certified, registered, or whatever you want to call it) for JV and above. For freshman games, the schools can hire a couple of neighborhood kids if they want. The school probably requires background checks as they do for anyone working at the school but that is it.

Few actually do it, however, but I have seen it happen. Some have tried it to save money but it ends up being a headache so they go back to the associations.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 01:59pm.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well which states allows that to take place? With all the association assigning on this site, are there really places that give games to someone theoretically off the street? At least in my state we are assigned multiple ways and not through local officials associations.

Peace
With 50 different states, I'm just saying it's possible.