The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:52am
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
Whistles Lead to Hearing Loss

From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/sp...f=sports&_r=1&

I know there are some whistles that are louder than others, out of necessity. Does anyone here have hearing problems that came from constantly blowing a whistle?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,370
I've seen more officials wear ear plugs recently -- some (many?) specially made / custom fit to filter out some of the specific frequencies that cause the most problems.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:41am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I've seen more officials wear ear plugs recently -- some (many?) specially made / custom fit to filter out some of the specific frequencies that cause the most problems.
I'd get the one's that filter out the "coaches yapping frequency."
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:57am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,986
My wife already says I can't hear as it is so no big loss there.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:04am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,866
Funny, as someone who is mildly Asperger-ish I have always been bothered by loud sounds but I have never been bothered by whistles.

And I'm always surprised when a fan, cheerleader, or player gets startled by an unexpected whistle blast from me.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:13am
Medium Kahuna
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: At home
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
My wife already says I can't hear as it is so no big loss there.
Reminds me of an Irish joke:

Sean and Mary have had a few pints and are driving home from the pub. The constable pulls the weaving car over and asks Sean if he realizes that Mary fell out of the car a few blocks back. Sean replies, "Well thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf!"
__________________
Never trust an atom: they make up everything.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Only in football?

I notice significant hearing loss immediately after the football games that I do. Maybe cause they're longer sounding whistles? In basketball, they're generally really short blasts. Just a thought.
__________________
All the worlds great civilizations have followed the same path. From bondage to liberty, liberty to abundance, abundance to complacency, complacency to apathy, apathy back to bondage. If we are to be the exception to history, then we must break the cycle; for those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:07am
Medium Kahuna
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: At home
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed2You View Post
I notice significant hearing loss immediately after the football games that I do. Maybe cause they're longer sounding whistles? In basketball, they're generally really short blasts. Just a thought.
The football official's hat reflects some of the sound (which the whistle aims up and away from your head) back down and toward your ears.

Basketball officials don't usually wear hats.
__________________
Never trust an atom: they make up everything.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:07am
Official & Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
I was experiencing tinitis (ringing in the ears) last year and saw an audiologist. She found some minor hearing loss in one ear likely due to:

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles

...severity in that order, according to her. I wear hearing protection for the first two, yet still have some minor loss. I find the horn/buzzer more irritating than the whistles at games.
__________________
Calling it both ways...since 1999
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:34am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And I'm always surprised when a fan, cheerleader, or player gets startled by an unexpected whistle blast from me.
I found it odd too until I went to a game recently and sat right near the endline. The L did the thing that many do and turn away from the players and then blast the whistle. That hurt the ears quite a bit actually, it was a little surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Reminds me of an Irish joke:

Sean and Mary have had a few pints and are driving home from the pub. The constable pulls the weaving car over and asks Sean if he realizes that Mary fell out of the car a few blocks back. Sean replies, "Well thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf!"
That's good. I'll share that with my wife and report back on the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I was experiencing tinitis (ringing in the ears) last year and saw an audiologist. She found some minor hearing loss in one ear likely due to:

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles
I can't afford to go to the range any more with the price of ammo these days so I guess I only have to worry about 2 and 3 now.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 259
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/sp...f=sports&_r=1&

I know there are some whistles that are louder than others, out of necessity. Does anyone here have hearing problems that came from constantly blowing a whistle?

Can you re-type this in a louder font!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I was experiencing tinitis (ringing in the ears) last year and saw an audiologist. She found some minor hearing loss in one ear likely due to:

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles

...severity in that order, according to her. I wear hearing protection for the first two, yet still have some minor loss. I find the horn/buzzer more irritating than the whistles at games.
Last year had same problem here, tinitis. I had significant hearing loss, end result being a hearing aid in my left ear, and directions from my audiologist to not use a whistle with a dcb above 90.

That said, on the court the hearing aid does help me hear my P better/more easily which is a good thing; but also coaches which can be a good or a bad thing.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
That said, on the court the hearing aid does help me hear my P better/more easily which is a good thing; but also coaches which can be a good or a bad thing.
Need to make the hearing aids with a remote control for volume... turn them down when you go tableside!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/sp...f=sports&_r=1&

I know there are some whistles that are louder than others, out of necessity. Does anyone here have hearing problems that came from constantly blowing a whistle?
What?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:45pm
Ok is the new good
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 641
Workers Comp???
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hearing Aids PaREF Volleyball 2 Fri Oct 05, 2012 02:12am
2 Missed Calls Cost Mavericks a 23 Point Lead and a Loss BktBallRef Basketball 9 Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:28pm
I'm hearing-impaired... representing Basketball 9 Wed Oct 06, 2010 06:14pm
Hearing damage - using whistle ML99 Football 11 Tue May 04, 2010 10:22am
Official Hearing Loss kgruber Basketball 15 Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:35pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1