The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistles Lead to Hearing Loss (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94192-whistles-lead-hearing-loss.html)

stiffler3492 Tue Feb 26, 2013 07:52am

Whistles Lead to Hearing Loss

From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/sp...f=sports&_r=1&

I know there are some whistles that are louder than others, out of necessity. Does anyone here have hearing problems that came from constantly blowing a whistle?

bob jenkins Tue Feb 26, 2013 08:39am

I've seen more officials wear ear plugs recently -- some (many?) specially made / custom fit to filter out some of the specific frequencies that cause the most problems.

grunewar Tue Feb 26, 2013 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 881972)
I've seen more officials wear ear plugs recently -- some (many?) specially made / custom fit to filter out some of the specific frequencies that cause the most problems.

I'd get the one's that filter out the "coaches yapping frequency." ;)

Welpe Tue Feb 26, 2013 08:57am

My wife already says I can't hear as it is so no big loss there.

Raymond Tue Feb 26, 2013 09:04am

Funny, as someone who is mildly Asperger-ish I have always been bothered by loud sounds but I have never been bothered by whistles.

And I'm always surprised when a fan, cheerleader, or player gets startled by an unexpected whistle blast from me.

maven Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 881980)
My wife already says I can't hear as it is so no big loss there.

Reminds me of an Irish joke:

Sean and Mary have had a few pints and are driving home from the pub. The constable pulls the weaving car over and asks Sean if he realizes that Mary fell out of the car a few blocks back. Sean replies, "Well thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf!"

Fed2You Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46am

Only in football?

I notice significant hearing loss immediately after the football games that I do. Maybe cause they're longer sounding whistles? In basketball, they're generally really short blasts. Just a thought.

maven Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed2You (Post 882002)
I notice significant hearing loss immediately after the football games that I do. Maybe cause they're longer sounding whistles? In basketball, they're generally really short blasts. Just a thought.

The football official's hat reflects some of the sound (which the whistle aims up and away from your head) back down and toward your ears.

Basketball officials don't usually wear hats. :)

Bad Zebra Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07am

I was experiencing tinitis (ringing in the ears) last year and saw an audiologist. She found some minor hearing loss in one ear likely due to:

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles

...severity in that order, according to her. I wear hearing protection for the first two, yet still have some minor loss. I find the horn/buzzer more irritating than the whistles at games.

Welpe Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 881982)
And I'm always surprised when a fan, cheerleader, or player gets startled by an unexpected whistle blast from me.

I found it odd too until I went to a game recently and sat right near the endline. The L did the thing that many do and turn away from the players and then blast the whistle. That hurt the ears quite a bit actually, it was a little surprising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 881994)
Reminds me of an Irish joke:

Sean and Mary have had a few pints and are driving home from the pub. The constable pulls the weaving car over and asks Sean if he realizes that Mary fell out of the car a few blocks back. Sean replies, "Well thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf!"

That's good. I'll share that with my wife and report back on the response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 882005)
I was experiencing tinitis (ringing in the ears) last year and saw an audiologist. She found some minor hearing loss in one ear likely due to:

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles

I can't afford to go to the range any more with the price of ammo these days so I guess I only have to worry about 2 and 3 now.

Scuba_ref Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16pm

What?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 881965)

I know there are some whistles that are louder than others, out of necessity. Does anyone here have hearing problems that came from constantly blowing a whistle?

Can you re-type this in a louder font!

KJUmp Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 882005)

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles

...severity in that order, according to her. I wear hearing protection for the first two, yet still have some minor loss. I find the horn/buzzer more irritating than the whistles at games.

Last year had same problem here, tinitis. I had significant hearing loss, end result being a hearing aid in my left ear, and directions from my audiologist to not use a whistle with a dcb above 90.

That said, on the court the hearing aid does help me hear my P better/more easily which is a good thing; but also coaches which can be a good or a bad thing.

rekent Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 882024)
That said, on the court the hearing aid does help me hear my P better/more easily which is a good thing; but also coaches which can be a good or a bad thing.

Need to make the hearing aids with a remote control for volume... turn them down when you go tableside! :)

Terrapins Fan Tue Feb 26, 2013 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 881965)

What?

The_Rookie Tue Feb 26, 2013 02:45pm

Workers Comp???