The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:52am
I miss being on the floor

Whistles Lead to Hearing Loss

From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/sp...f=sports&_r=1&

I know there are some whistles that are louder than others, out of necessity. Does anyone here have hearing problems that came from constantly blowing a whistle?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I've seen more officials wear ear plugs recently -- some (many?) specially made / custom fit to filter out some of the specific frequencies that cause the most problems.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I've seen more officials wear ear plugs recently -- some (many?) specially made / custom fit to filter out some of the specific frequencies that cause the most problems.
I'd get the one's that filter out the "coaches yapping frequency."
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:57am
Archaic Power Monger

My wife already says I can't hear as it is so no big loss there.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Funny, as someone who is mildly Asperger-ish I have always been bothered by loud sounds but I have never been bothered by whistles.

And I'm always surprised when a fan, cheerleader, or player gets startled by an unexpected whistle blast from me.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:13am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
My wife already says I can't hear as it is so no big loss there.
Reminds me of an Irish joke:

Sean and Mary have had a few pints and are driving home from the pub. The constable pulls the weaving car over and asks Sean if he realizes that Mary fell out of the car a few blocks back. Sean replies, "Well thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf!"
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Only in football?

I notice significant hearing loss immediately after the football games that I do. Maybe cause they're longer sounding whistles? In basketball, they're generally really short blasts. Just a thought.
All the worlds great civilizations have followed the same path. From bondage to liberty, liberty to abundance, abundance to complacency, complacency to apathy, apathy back to bondage. If we are to be the exception to history, then we must break the cycle; for those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:07am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed2You View Post
I notice significant hearing loss immediately after the football games that I do. Maybe cause they're longer sounding whistles? In basketball, they're generally really short blasts. Just a thought.
The football official's hat reflects some of the sound (which the whistle aims up and away from your head) back down and toward your ears.

Basketball officials don't usually wear hats.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:07am
Official & Member

I was experiencing tinitis (ringing in the ears) last year and saw an audiologist. She found some minor hearing loss in one ear likely due to:

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles

...severity in that order, according to her. I wear hearing protection for the first two, yet still have some minor loss. I find the horn/buzzer more irritating than the whistles at games.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:34am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And I'm always surprised when a fan, cheerleader, or player gets startled by an unexpected whistle blast from me.
I found it odd too until I went to a game recently and sat right near the endline. The L did the thing that many do and turn away from the players and then blast the whistle. That hurt the ears quite a bit actually, it was a little surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Reminds me of an Irish joke:

Sean and Mary have had a few pints and are driving home from the pub. The constable pulls the weaving car over and asks Sean if he realizes that Mary fell out of the car a few blocks back. Sean replies, "Well thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf!"
That's good. I'll share that with my wife and report back on the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I was experiencing tinitis (ringing in the ears) last year and saw an audiologist. She found some minor hearing loss in one ear likely due to:

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles
I can't afford to go to the range any more with the price of ammo these days so I guess I only have to worry about 2 and 3 now.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post

I know there are some whistles that are louder than others, out of necessity. Does anyone here have hearing problems that came from constantly blowing a whistle?

Can you re-type this in a louder font!
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post

-Trips to gun range
-Lawn Equipment
-Whistles

...severity in that order, according to her. I wear hearing protection for the first two, yet still have some minor loss. I find the horn/buzzer more irritating than the whistles at games.
Last year had same problem here, tinitis. I had significant hearing loss, end result being a hearing aid in my left ear, and directions from my audiologist to not use a whistle with a dcb above 90.

That said, on the court the hearing aid does help me hear my P better/more easily which is a good thing; but also coaches which can be a good or a bad thing.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
That said, on the court the hearing aid does help me hear my P better/more easily which is a good thing; but also coaches which can be a good or a bad thing.
Need to make the hearing aids with a remote control for volume... turn them down when you go tableside!
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post

What?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:45pm
Ok is the new good

Workers Comp???