The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Second Half Positioning

Hi All - I have a meaningless question, but nonetheless it is driving me crazy this evening. In a 3-person crew, where do the U1 and U2 go to start the 2nd half? We always just fill in and have never followed any formal protocol, but I was asked about it last night and can't find it in any official manual (NFHS, IAABO, NCAA-M). Does anyone know if I am missing it in a book or just a logical thought?

We have U1 and U2 watch the same teams they watched in the first half.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have never had a single person care or make a point of where the U1 or U2 was located at this time of the game. After all we are going to one end at this time and I have never heard who stays table side or who goes opposite.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post
Hi All - I have a meaningless question, but nonetheless it is driving me crazy this evening. In a 3-person crew, where do the U1 and U2 go to start the 2nd half? We always just fill in and have never followed any formal protocol, but I was asked about it last night and can't find it in any official manual (NFHS, IAABO, NCAA-M). Does anyone know if I am missing it in a book or just a logical thought?

We have U1 and U2 watch the same teams they watched in the first half.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
My experience has been to keep the U1 and U2 observing the same teams for the halftime warmup period as they had in the pregame, then based upon whichever direction the arrow is pointing the umpire observing that end goes to the Lead position while the umpire who was observing the team which will begin the 3rd quarter on defense goes across the court, gets the ball from the table personnel, tosses it to the R, and then remains table side as the C.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:53pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
My experience has been to keep the U1 and U2 observing the same teams for the halftime warmup period as they had in the pregame, then based upon whichever direction the arrow is pointing the umpire observing that end goes to the Lead position while the umpire who was observing the team which will begin the 3rd quarter on defense goes across the court, gets the ball from the table personnel, tosses it to the R, and then remains table side as the C.
+1 on all of this in my experience.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The other option (used here about 1/3 the time, I would guess), is to stay on the same side of the court as for pre-game and, thus, to watch the other team.

I agree on the protocol for getting the ball and becoming L/C.

On the list of top 25 things to worry about, this is about number 37.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

It's funny, but one of my regular partners has mentioned this a few times this season. Not that we really care, but it would be nice to know what the powers-that-be think is the "right" way.

We probably stay with the team 50% of the time and switch the other 50%. In other words, depends on how we walk out of the locker room.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is how our chapter does it. U 1 observes the home team, U 2 observes the visitors and then they fill in depending on the arrow.

Last edited by legend; Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 09:28am.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We have done the same for more than 12 years.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

In my corner, we always observe the same team. If both teams leave the court and go to their benches prior to time expiring for half-time, we go the blocks and wait for the horn. When the horn sounds we proceed much like we do after a time-out but with a little less urgency.

From the blocks, it is easy to decide where to go. Of course, we go to those same positions even if we don't make it to the blocks.