The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

A thought for younger officials

I expect I am much like a lot of other officials. This is my 12th year of refereeing. After my 4th year I began to get post season assignments.

Year after year I would get 1 first round game, no 2nd assignment. The first round match ups are so easy to referee. There's no challenge there. I like to be challenged.

In don't know if I will get a 2nd round game this year, but I know that I could handle it and I have earned it. My regular season schedule this year improved by leaps and bounds. I have refereed #1,#2 & #3 teams at least 6 times this year and probably more. I thought I was ready several years ago for these game, but I wasn't.

3 years ago, I called 20 "T"s through about 50 games. This year I have a total of 5, with 2 coming in 1 game as I posted about a week ago. I have refereed about 50 games or so this season. I am more patient, I have a more patient whistle.

I believe time helps most of us. I am older and I know I won';t have the same opportunities that a 30 year old officials has. ( I am 57 ). But for younger, newer officials, keep working, all levels, go to camps, find a good mentor and be patient.

Good luck to all of you. I think you have a leg up, just by reading this board.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I agree 100%... At some point, you have to trust that assignors are putting you in a position to succeed. I always felt like it is better to get a tough game 1 year late rather than a year early.

On technical fouls, my career has followed a similar trajectory. I have found that with experience, I am a much better communicator with coaches and can diffuse or manage many situations with a Tech only being there for an egregious act or a last resort to keep the game under control.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Have you ever asked why you were not getting deeper playoff games?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:55am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
In don't know if I will get a 2nd round game this year, but I know that I could handle it and I have earned it.
Here's a reality, in both officiating and in life: You don't always get what you think you've earned. You may not get what most people believe you've earned.

Chances are, there are people that have been doing this longer, and are simply better than you right now. Those people will be ahead of you for the time being. The only thing you can do about that is improve yourself, and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, your respect will improve as you improve, and ultimately, I believe what we really want is respect from our peers.

Last edited by bainsey; Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:59am.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

A big part of why I didn't get deeper into the play offs is seniority. Until this year I was low on the list, we have 52 officials, Last year I was in the top 25 in seniority, this year I am #16.

Seniority alone doesn't guarantee play off games, but it can be a factor. We use the top 15 officials for post season. 10-15 get 1st round games, 1-9 get 2nd and 3rd round games, based on the number of assignments.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Here's a reality, in both officiating and in life: You don't always get what you think you've earned. You may not get what most people believe you've earned.

Chances are, there are people that have been doing this longer, and are simply better than you right now. The only thing you can do about that is improve yourself, and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, your respect will improve as you improve, and ultimately, I believe what we really want is respect from our peers.
Good reply. I agree.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
( I am 57 )
57! You're still a child.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Chances are, there are people that have been doing this longer, and are simply better than you right now. Those people will be ahead of you for the time being. The only thing you can do about that is improve yourself, and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, your respect will improve as you improve, and ultimately, I believe what we really want is respect from our peers.
bainsey has hit the nail square on the head here.

No matter what sport we officiate, there are always officials in our respective association, group, assignor's roster, etc. who are better than we are and we know it when we watch them work a game.

I've always looked at those officials to see what it is that they do better and more consistently than me to give me a gauge of where I need to raise my game to be able work caliber of games (reg. season, top conferences, playoffs, late rounds of playoffs etc.) that they work on a consistent basis.

It's all that anyone of us can do. Honest assessment and and willingness to work to improve.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:50am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Have you ever asked why you were not getting deeper playoff games?
This is not a question you can ask with an expectation of it helping the situation.

This is an unfortunate part of officiating. Honest answers to these questions just don't come. Get used to it.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
This is not a question you can ask with an expectation of it helping the situation.

This is an unfortunate part of officiating. Honest answers to these questions just don't come. Get used to it.
Depends on how it's phrased. Phrase it as humbly as possible, putting the onus on yourself.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:55am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

That may be true in your experience, but it is not true in my area. Serving on the Board the last few years, we have had several officials question why they were not working deeper into the playoffs. Every time we have had them attend the next Board meeting and the reasons why have been explained to them.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:00pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Depends on how it's phrased. Phrase it as humbly as possible, putting the onus on yourself.
Big T, trust me. In Utah, keep your mouth shut and work any and all assigned games. Talking to the UHSAA about who works what games in the tournament is not the right idea.

Your board should be honest with you, but don't approach the state about not working further in the state tournament...it will not help you. I have seen too many people try it and shoot themselves in the foot. The state assigns those games as they see fit.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Big T, trust me. In Utah, keep your mouth shut and work any and all assigned games. Talking to the UHSAA about who works what games in the tournament is not the right idea.

Your board should be honest with you, but don't approach the state about not working further in the state tournament...it will not help you. I have seen too many people try it and shoot themselves in the foot. The state assigns those games as they see fit.
But, the OP is in MD, not UT. So the advice of "depends on the area" is correct.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:16pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But, the OP is in MD, not UT. So the advice of "depends on the area" is correct.
Which is why I prefaced my comments with the quotes by Big T. Trying to help a local.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
57! You're still a child.
Last year we had 3 senior officials aged 76, 77 & 78. 1 passed during the season, one had 2 knees replaced and has since stopped refereeing and the other had health problem with his legs this year, all 3 are amazing men to be able to work into their 70's.