Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I Thought YOU Scheduled The Officials!

Lack of referees delays Rome-Sprayberry start | ajc.com

Oops.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

We are required to contact the home AD to advise him that we have been assigned to his game. That call is to take place on Tuesday of the week of the game. I actually fax a letter to the AD and both head coaches. ( I want them to know in advance who the a$$hole is that he will be yelling at). Does GA not have a similar requirement? If not, sounds like there might be one in its future.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
I always call the AD as well. With the advent of so many of the electronic assigning systems it's less likely that this will be a problem as the years go by. A few years ago I got a call on Monday morning at 8AM from the athletic secretary checking. They got stiffed for no refs the previous Friday and were checking really early for the next Friday. Another time, I dutifully called the school and got information on time of game, who was coming, and everything but failed to ask if they played the game at the school. Turned out they didn't and we had to scramble to find the other site. I no longer forget to ask that question
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

We have no requirements to verify the games with the school. Since crews do their own scheduling and usually schedule several years out (picked up a 2013 game this morning), you are stupid if you don't verify with the AD. There are always mix-ups with crew changes or disbanding, changes in athletic directors, etc. Many of our schools will call the crew a week or two before the game as well. We showed up at one game this year that was double booked (unorganized AD) and also got a call early in the week from another school that thought they had us on their schedule. It happens but if either party verifies at least by Monday or Tuesday there is still time to fix things.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

I think confirming assignments falls under the "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" scenario.