The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:22pm
AremRed

Breaking down video

I was just given online access to some video of a JV game I did last week. I have never had to break down video of myself working. What should I look for?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Positioning, mechanics and hustle.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:47pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
I was just given online access to some video of a JV game I did last week. I have never had to break down video of myself working. What should I look for?
Calls/No-Calls; Positioning; Light Fouls; PCA Observance; Mechanics

1) Locate your calls and no-calls for both fouls and violations. Play them over and over to identify quality, noting especially positioning to verify if you were in the right position to make those calls.

2) Distinguish between good fouls you called and "light fouls" that might have been better to pass on.

3) Verify whether your call was in or out of your PCA, and if out of it, was it a necessary call to make or was it better that your partner had a no-call.

4) Study your mechanics on everything you did to see if they were correct and if there are particular areas of improvement necessary. Don't ignore how you look during dead ball periods, either.

Take notes on all this and revisit the result of your study several days after your first effort at review. Prioritize three or four especially major areas of improvement for your upcoming games.
Don't be satsified to just look at things once or twice. Review and repeat and over and over again. If you have a good knowledge of correct rules and principles and mechanics, etc., you should improve by your diligent review. If you're not at that point yet, seek out a veteran with time to go through particular plays personally with you.

PM me if you want and I'll send you some examples of various formats of charting games.

Some additional insights are included in this brief video: Basketball ref crew--get video--youth Jr HS NCAA D-1 NBA va - YouTube
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:37pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
PM me if you want and I'll send you some examples of various formats of charting games.
Cool, I have done so.

Repeating the video over and over again is tough cuz the website the video is on buffers very slowly. It took me almost an hour and a half to watch 50 minutes of film.

Also, I think the video I have access to has been sped up, perhaps 1.25x. Is this speeding up of video typical?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Post the link, we'll help you break it down.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:08am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Post the link, we'll help you break it down.
I am not sure if I am allowed to share it, and it's not on YouTube or anything. I'm kinda new to the website.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:26am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think you have to look for anything specific. Just look at your mechanics and calls you make and probably passed on. Then say to yourself, "Should that have been called?" or "Was that a good call?"

You can even look at your body language. The tape does not lie and you will likely notice all kinds of stuff that you were not aware you were doing.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

All action falls into one of four categories:

1. Correct Call
2. Correct No-Call
3. Incorrect Call
4. Incorrect No-Call

These are the categories that we are reguired to use when breaking down our games for submission to our assignor.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Sean,

Freddy and Scuba Ref gave you a lot of great points. If you have to look at a

play more than three times were you blew a whistle, then give yourself a

correct call (cc). No need to split hairs.

One other thing.....look at your body language throughout the game.

How is it when talking to a coach....

How is it when your partner makes a call....

During your presentation to table......

Good luck !!!!!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

There are 3 versions of tape breakdown I use:

30 minute version: I simply look at key plays in the game to review coverage and call accuracy. This is not the best way to learn from tape, but better than nothing if you don't have more time.

1 hour version: I take several snapshots... pull a play up and take freeze frames to watch crew positioning. Based on the location of matchups, review your positioning relative to your most competitive matchup. Take several of these and try to note any bad habits or consistent mistakes you are making with positioning.

2+ hour version: Break each play down start to finish... determine call and no-call accuracy. CC = correct call, CNC = correct no-call, IC = incorrect call, INC = incorrect no-call. I will also chart fouls by position to ensure an good distribution of fouls and look to see if my play-calling % is different at certain positions.... I have always had highest accuracy from the lead so I closely watch positioning and play-calling as Center and Trail and try to improve on those each game.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
post the link, we'll help you break it down.
:d
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Show it to a friend/colleague and ask for their first impression. In other words, do you look fit? Does the uniform fit you well? Good haircut? Smiling or stoic? Robotic or comfortable? Shoulder back or slight slouch? Leaning most weight on one leg or another, or balanced? Goes to that initial instant credibility we hope to achieve when first walking onto a court.

Then, observe all of the other stuff mentioned.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:00pm
AremRed

I got a DVD of my first 3-man game today! I am in the process of ripping it, and am considering posting it to YouTube. However, you guys gotta be nice.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 12:04am
This IS My Social Life

Check Your Local Listings

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
I got a DVD of my first 3-man game today! I am in the process of ripping it, and am considering posting it to YouTube. However, you guys gotta be nice.
Before putting it on YouTube, be sure your association doesn't have any sort of protocol forbidding it. I know it differs in different places differently. Some are very careful about sharing with the general public, others don't care and post it on the internet. Our association considers its recordings of officials proprietary to the members of the crew and the assigner, but on the other hand I notice DVBOA out in California puts tons of games on YouTube for all to see.
Heck, when every mother and uncle in the stands has some sort of video recorder duct taped to their wrists to catch a lasting remembrance of their little LeBron on permanent record, it ought not be an issue. But you might wanna check first.
Just sayin'........