The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Ever had a game where you seemed to be just a bit off the mark? Not a disaster, or even any serious brain farts; just a general unease coupled with silly mistakes (announcing the count backwards, for example - where did THAT come from???)

I had a game like that yesterday afternoon.

It didn't help matters that the game was a walk-fest, making it hard to get any rhythm going, but I've had those before and still felt sharp & on top of my game.

I tried concentrating extra hard. I tried focusing on my timing. But, I just couldn't shake it.

Any thoughs on what I should have done?

If you've ever had a game like this, what did you do?
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

You'll probably find that you have more of this kind of game in the ugly games - like your game yesterday. One team is getting trounced, all you really hope to see is enough innings for the run rule to kick in and you lose concentration. The only way around this is to focus on some "fundamental" adjustment that you want/need to make to your mechanics and work on that. It may be timing or positioning or plate stance or any number of things. But ugly games are still ugly games.

Steve M
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Oh what fun we have

Dont know if many would agree with this to be good advice but it has helped be a bit when I am having problem focusing on the easy stuff(ball,strike count etc) I put the counter in my pocktet so I know I got to keep everything mentally for a inning a two and will usally keep me on my toes and kinda wake me up BUT make sure you trust your scorekeeper or partner in case you go braindead if not the real fun starts and you will really wake up!!

JMO

Don
Old Thu May 02, 2002, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

I think I might try your technique - but I'll wait until you are my partner!!
Old Thu May 02, 2002, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Gary

I am looking forward to the day we do get to work together BUT for some reason when I am on a field my partners never seem to be getting bored for very long seems I am always starting something

Have a good one, wont see you this weekend I got to catch up on my REAL JOB as the players always tell me about. (LOL)

Don
Old Thu May 02, 2002, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Oh what fun we have

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Dont know if many would agree with this to be good advice but it has helped be a bit when I am having problem focusing on the easy stuff(ball,strike count etc) I put the counter in my pocktet so I know I got to keep everything mentally for a inning a two and will usally keep me on my toes and kinda wake me up BUT make sure you trust your scorekeeper or partner in case you go braindead if not the real fun starts and you will really wake up!!

JMO

Don
I had always put mine in my shirt pocket, that way I have
reach to get it and it reminds me that something has taken
place...however, sometimes I forget what! Also tough on
pockets....

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

After having Tom (on e-teamz) and the rest of you pick on me for holding the clicker in my right hand, I tried it in the left again. Found my mask in my right hand! Therefor, I decided to put in the pocket of my ball bag. I found out that I was much more aware of the count, and even after the passed balls with a play following, I was aware of if I had advanced the count!

Since that game, I no longer hold a clicker in my hand. This may be pretty good advice for forcing yourself to focus.

Roger Greene