View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:47pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
I was just given online access to some video of a JV game I did last week. I have never had to break down video of myself working. What should I look for?
Calls/No-Calls; Positioning; Light Fouls; PCA Observance; Mechanics

1) Locate your calls and no-calls for both fouls and violations. Play them over and over to identify quality, noting especially positioning to verify if you were in the right position to make those calls.

2) Distinguish between good fouls you called and "light fouls" that might have been better to pass on.

3) Verify whether your call was in or out of your PCA, and if out of it, was it a necessary call to make or was it better that your partner had a no-call.

4) Study your mechanics on everything you did to see if they were correct and if there are particular areas of improvement necessary. Don't ignore how you look during dead ball periods, either.

Take notes on all this and revisit the result of your study several days after your first effort at review. Prioritize three or four especially major areas of improvement for your upcoming games.
Don't be satsified to just look at things once or twice. Review and repeat and over and over again. If you have a good knowledge of correct rules and principles and mechanics, etc., you should improve by your diligent review. If you're not at that point yet, seek out a veteran with time to go through particular plays personally with you.

PM me if you want and I'll send you some examples of various formats of charting games.

Some additional insights are included in this brief video: Basketball ref crew--get video--youth Jr HS NCAA D-1 NBA va - YouTube