The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting Morning

So I was scheduled for a C level and a JV boys double header.

My partner calls me 20 minutes before and says, "I got the flu" but I will be there, just late.

I head up to the court and do all the administrative stuff. During the coaches meeting, I tell them my partner is sick, I'm not sure if he's coming or not, but that I will call a solo game. Both coaches are good.

The game is like most C level games, sloppy. After the first quarter of play, I have a 4 to 6 foul count and an 11-10 score. The coach from the visiting team comes to me in between quarters and says "You're missing too much stuff, we're not playing until the other official gets here."

I say, "that's not an option coach, you can forfeit, or we can continue". I sympathized that this wasn't ideal for anyone.

His team comes out to start the quarter and they immediately get the ball stolen, coach is yelling "that's a foul" and I shake my head, then he does the old two hand wave off for everyone to see. Whack

The coach then pull his team off the court and says "we're done"....tweet tweet, game over. I walk to the scorer table, tell them visiting team is forfeiting and I go back to the dressing room.

My partner arrives and we go up to do the JV game and the boys from the C level game are playing with the coach being the referee.

Interesting morning
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

That's fine. I would then tell them that it's time for the next game to start (at the next games scheduled time of course) and that they should clear the court. Get game admin to do this. If they don't I would seriously consider forfeiting for the home team, going home writing a report (which would have to be done anyway for the first forfeit) to the league and letting them deal with it.

But in all honesty game admin normally isn't normally and issue and they comply. Get the other game started on time and move along.

but until you need to be on court for the next game who cares what is going on.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 07:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
So I was scheduled for a C level and a JV boys double header.

My partner calls me 20 minutes before and says, "I got the flu" but I will be there, just late.

I head up to the court and do all the administrative stuff. During the coaches meeting, I tell them my partner is sick, I'm not sure if he's coming or not, but that I will call a solo game. Both coaches are good.

The game is like most C level games, sloppy. After the first quarter of play, I have a 4 to 6 foul count and an 11-10 score. The coach from the visiting team comes to me in between quarters and says "You're missing too much stuff, we're not playing until the other official gets here."

I say, "that's not an option coach, you can forfeit, or we can continue". I sympathized that this wasn't ideal for anyone.

His team comes out to start the quarter and they immediately get the ball stolen, coach is yelling "that's a foul" and I shake my head, then he does the old two hand wave off for everyone to see. Whack

The coach then pull his team off the court and says "we're done"....tweet tweet, game over. I walk to the scorer table, tell them visiting team is forfeiting and I go back to the dressing room.

My partner arrives and we go up to do the JV game and the boys from the C level game are playing with the coach being the referee.

Interesting morning
Again, I'm thankful that starting the game with one official wouldn't even be an option where I live.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 08:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I might just be tempted to throw the guy who called 20 minutes before gametime under the bus. Especially, if I could find the keys. That is inexcusable to call 20 minutes before gametime and to attempt to come with the flu.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
But in all honesty game admin normally isn't normally and issue and they comply.
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Again, I'm thankful that starting the game with one official wouldn't even be an option where I live.
Even if it was allowed, I still wouldn't do it. Why would anyone?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 07:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Show Must Go On ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Let's see? Let me count the ways. Thousands of fans, students, parents, grandparents, from both schools, high school coaches, college coaches, in the gymnasium, already having paid for their admission, some of whom may have traveled many miles, and gone out of their way to rearrange their work day, or social calendar, to get to the game. Several faculty members (site director, timekeeper, scorekeeper, crowd control, ticket sales, etc.) all at the site, on the clock. Local police officer, standing in the corner, on the clock. Local news media, writers, photographers, at the site, on the clock. One official, who may have rearranged his work day, or social calendar, and may have traveled many miles, to get to the site.

And most importantly, two groups of high school athletes, who have been practicing all week for this game, who are dressed, and anxious to play the game.

For those who have rules in place to not play if only one official is available to start the game, I don't get it, but fine, when in Rome you can't fight city hall (sorry for the mixed metaphor). I just don't see a big difference between that and a situation where two officials start the game and one goes down with a broken ankle one minute into the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 02:20pm.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 10:32am
certified Hot Mom tester

I wish I had a nickel for every rec game I've worked solo over the years. I might have enough to make that final payment on my yacht.

Some tips for those who wind up working a game solo. Position yourself from outside the 3 point line even with the FT line on whichever court the ball is in and change sides from left to right frequently. On end line throw-ins, throw a long bounce pass to the thrower-in. On free throws, stand where the trail usually stands. Be sure to tell the coaches to yell loudly when they are requesting a TO since you will be in the envious position of not looking at them during the game.

If anyone complains about you missing seeing stuff, tell them to go buy a whistle - and then tell them where they can put it.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Huh?

But in all honesty game admin normally isn't normally AN issue and they comply [with our requests].

Oops that typo made a huge difference.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here you are allowed to start one person and I have seen it happen where the partner who was late comes strolling in about 5 minutes into the first quarter.I have also seen it happen where one partner misses the first half (both scenarios on JV). For Varsity games if one official is missing then one of the JV crew stays until they arrive.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 12:44pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Let's see? Let me count the ways. Thousands of fans, students, parents, grandparents, high school coaches, college coaches, from both schools, in the gymnasium, already having paid for their admission, some of whom may have traveled many miles, and gone out of their way to rearrange their work day, or social calendar, to get to the game. Several faculty members (site director, timekeeper, scorekeeper, crowd control, ticket sales, etc.) all at the site, on the clock. Local police officer, standing in the corner, on the clock. Local news media, writers, photographers, at the site, on the clock. One official, who may have rearranged his work day, or social calendar, and may have traveled many miles, to get to the site.

And most importantly, two groups of high school athletes, who have been practicing all week for this game, who are dressed, and anxious to play the game.

For those who have rules in place to not play if only one official is available to start the game, I don't get it, but fine, when in Rome you can't fight city hall (sorry for the mixed metaphor). I just don't see a big difference between that and a situation where two officials start the game and one goes down with a broken ankle one minute into the game.
Billy is 100% on target..I had this happen 2 days ago where my partner went to the WRONG SCHOOL

Freshman Boys ..flying solo and game goes into overtime. Not only were BOTH coaches appreciative of my efforts but I had PARENTS from LOSING team shake my hand and thank me with one parent saying I did a better job than some 2 man crews!

The OP ran into a POS of a coach and I don't mean Point Of Sale!

BTW, the AD gave me BOTH CHECKS!
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I would hate to start a varsity game alone, but any other level I get going ASAP. If there is no JV game before I would try calling the assignor to see if he can get anyone to cover. That's after calling my partner to make sure he isn't on his way.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 12:58pm
We don't rent pigs

I've called various games alone over the years at all levels, including several varsity boys games in a summer league, thankfully, only one quarter of a "real" varsity game ever. I always tell the players at the start, "I'm by myself. I'm gonna do the best I can. If you ever want to get away with any kind of dirty play in your career, now would probably be a good time to try it."

They know I'm kidding, I think.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 02:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Person Mechanics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Some tips for those who wind up working a game solo.
http://www.iaabo6.org/Interp/2009/of...s/1-person.pdf
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have had to work games alone before...never any fun...but one of the things i do during the coaches meeting is explain i am the only one out here, guarantee i will miss stuff, but i will work as hard as i can. I also explain my tolerance from both benches and players is next to nothing....

For as awful working by yourself is i have never had any objections or complaints from coaches over the calls being made....
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Can't Miss 'Em All ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Billy is 100% on target ...
... and so is a broken clock, twice each day.