View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 07:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
So I was scheduled for a C level and a JV boys double header.

My partner calls me 20 minutes before and says, "I got the flu" but I will be there, just late.

I head up to the court and do all the administrative stuff. During the coaches meeting, I tell them my partner is sick, I'm not sure if he's coming or not, but that I will call a solo game. Both coaches are good.

The game is like most C level games, sloppy. After the first quarter of play, I have a 4 to 6 foul count and an 11-10 score. The coach from the visiting team comes to me in between quarters and says "You're missing too much stuff, we're not playing until the other official gets here."

I say, "that's not an option coach, you can forfeit, or we can continue". I sympathized that this wasn't ideal for anyone.

His team comes out to start the quarter and they immediately get the ball stolen, coach is yelling "that's a foul" and I shake my head, then he does the old two hand wave off for everyone to see. Whack

The coach then pull his team off the court and says "we're done"....tweet tweet, game over. I walk to the scorer table, tell them visiting team is forfeiting and I go back to the dressing room.

My partner arrives and we go up to do the JV game and the boys from the C level game are playing with the coach being the referee.

Interesting morning
Again, I'm thankful that starting the game with one official wouldn't even be an option where I live.