The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Dont see this as asking too much. We regulate where we stand for a time out and whether you all have all black shoes or all have some white in them.. What's more important, stuff like that or an individual foul call being accurate?
It is when the numbers of officials are high. I cannot speak for you but we have nearly 6000 officials statewide. It would be really hard to get everyone to the exact same way of thinking on many issues, let alone report the exact same way when the officials might have never met each other previously. And no we do not have associations that assign games and dictate every little detail. That is why I said that it is kind of silly to expect that much uniformity on one night.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Try using one handed reporting to report a foul on NBE player Nicolas Batum of the Trailblazers who wears number 88.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Not Consider Any Other Options ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Try using one handed reporting to report a foul on NBE player Nicolas Batum of the Trailblazers who wears number 88.
I hate it when I have to take off my shoes and socks to report a foul. It's a real game interrupter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 10:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I hate it when I have to take off my shoes and socks to report a foul.
Your partner hates it too when he has to put in his noseplugs.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I just do what's in the book. They can't knock you down for following what is outlined in the offcial's manual.

In NCAA, I had a conference who wanted 2 hand and the rest wanted 1 hand. When in Rome......
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

At my association's camp this past weekend, the UIL (Texas) director of officials told us that starting this next season (2013-2014) Texas will allow 2-handed reporting of numbers. It's not required, but whichever method the crew uses - they all have to use the same method, so it will be a part of pre-game to decide whether the crew will use 1-hand or 2-hand reporting of numbers. I like.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
At my association's camp this past weekend, the UIL (Texas) director of officials told us that starting this next season (2013-2014) Texas will allow 2-handed reporting of numbers. It's not required, but whichever method the crew uses - they all have to use the same method, so it will be a part of pre-game to decide whether the crew will use 1-hand or 2-hand reporting of numbers. I like.
Every spring, summer and fall I go to two hand reporting. In the winter time, it takes me about 3 or 4 games to get back to 1 hand reporting. Trying to switch at the start of each game, while that sounds easy, you may find its harder than it sounds.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Every spring, summer and fall I go to two hand reporting. In the winter time, it takes me about 3 or 4 games to get back to 1 hand reporting. Trying to switch at the start of each game, while that sounds easy, you may find its harder than it sounds.
I'm gonna guess that for all my varsity games (which is the vast majority), we will always use 2-hands. Half of the folks have been doing it that way anyway because many are college officials. For lower level games, I doubt anyone will care if there's a mismatch in how the crew reports. I've been using 2-hands all summer and I like it.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

I have come around on the 2 hand reporting. I actually like it and did it during the season in my college games. Now I never get why people have to spend a lot of time adjusting as I did that all season. And every summer I do a lot of mechanics that are not NF and when the season starts it is just like riding a bike. And I have been doing all kinds of "college" or non-NF mechanics in the summer for years and never had a problem.

Peace
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have come around on the 2 hand reporting. I actually like it and did it during the season in my college games. Now I never get why people have to spend a lot of time adjusting as I did that all season. And every summer I do a lot of mechanics that are not NF and when the season starts it is just like riding a bike. And I have been doing all kinds of "college" or non-NF mechanics in the summer for years and never had a problem.

Peace
It has not been a struggle of mine to go back and forth between mechanics, but I mostly do high school and very little college yet. Maybe if there was more of an even mix, i.e. HS game on Friday, college on Saturday, HS Tuesday, college Wednesday, etc., I could see myself losing concentration on the proper mechanics. Probably just need to ride the college bike more often.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
It has not been a struggle of mine to go back and forth between mechanics, but I mostly do high school and very little college yet. Maybe if there was more of an even mix, i.e. HS game on Friday, college on Saturday, HS Tuesday, college Wednesday, etc., I could see myself losing concentration on the proper mechanics. Probably just need to ride the college bike more often.
I guess I'm lucky because my GV games are under the NCAA rule set. When I see boys on the court (BV), I use one hand. When I see girls on the court (GV/NCAAW), I use both.

The only thing that gets me confused is when I go to NCAAW camps and there are BV players on the court.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)