The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating 101 - Pregame Positioning - 2 person

Ok, where my editors at? Feedback appreciated... This is the revised edition of the video with changes made at the suggestion of this forums awesome members.

Last edited by dvboa; Tue May 21, 2013 at 11:43am. Reason: Revised video edition 2.0
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 02:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Excellent, With Some Questions And/Or Suggestions ...

1) IAABO mechanics: Referee observes visitors warming up, and umpire observes home players warming up. It also used to be that way with NFHS mechanics, but we switched to IAABO mechanics several years ago, so I'm unaware of the current NFHS guidelines.

2) In addition to looking for illegal uniforms, the officials should also look for illegal equipment, and jewelry.

3) In addition to asking the coaches about properly equipped players, they should also ask about players wearing legal uniforms, and about players knowing how to wear their uniforms properly. (NFHS 2-4-5: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.)

4) IAABO mechanics: Captains (and coaches) meeting takes place between the jump ball circle and the table, not in the jump ball circle, but I have no knowledge of current NFHS mechanics in regard to this.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 19, 2013 at 07:49am.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1) IAABO mechanics: Referee observes visitors warming up, and umpire observes home players warming up. It also used to be that way with NFHS mechanics, but we switched to IAABO mechanics several years ago, so I'm unaware of the current NFHS guidelines.

2) In addition to looking for illegal uniforms, the officials should also look for illegal equipment, and jewelry.

3) In addition to asking the coaches about properly equipped players, they should also ask about players wearing legal uniforms, and about players knowing how to wear their uniforms properly. (2-4-5: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.)

4) IAABO mechanics: Captains (and coaches) meeting takes place between the jump ball circle and the table, not in the jump ball circle, but I have no knowledge of current NFHS mechanics in regard to this.
These procedures relate to NFHS.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 04:44pm
This IS My Social Life

Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvboa View Post
These procedures relate to NFHS.
Keep it that way. No sense cluttering things up. If your intention is to cater to a larger audience, that will apply to most, I'm thinkin'.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 05:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Keep it that way. No sense cluttering things up. If your intention is to cater to a larger audience, that will apply to most, I'm thinkin'.
The problem is not everyone uses NF mechanics to the letter. So things can vary based on local changes or standards. For example no one cares who watches what as the Referee or Umpire. Some people do it the right way, but not one is going to lose sleep doing it another way. Just as long as officials are placed properly.

Peace
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 05:48pm
This IS My Social Life

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The problem is not everyone uses NF mechanics to the letter.
Granted. Which is why I said "most", not "all". Maybe "many more" would be okay to say.

We do here, which is why I like what DVBOA is putting out.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat May 18, 2013 at 05:51pm.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 05:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Things can vary based on local changes or standards.
Agree. 100%. When in Rome, speak Latin. Especially if your assigner speaks Latin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun May 19, 2013, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

"Officials should arrive on the court 15 minutes prior to game time."

"Gamesite" sounds like they should arrive at the school and walk in.

My area, we have the captains - with coaches - meeting in front of the table, out of the way of players warming up. About a minute total.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

In our area, we go to the table at around the 12 minute mark. That enables us to remind coaches we need the book at the table by 10 or make any book corrections before 10. We want to try to avoid book technicals if we can, and technically it is a technical if these errors are corrected after the 10 minute mark (although, I know very few officals would assess a technical here).
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 02:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fixed Before Ten ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
We go to the table at around the 12 minute mark. That enables us to remind coaches we need the book at the table by 10 or make any book corrections before 10. We want to try to avoid book technicals if we can, and technically it is a technical if these errors are corrected after the 10 minute mark.
Good points. From my pregame conference: On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00.

Old Mon May 20, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Reminder from the peanut gallery:

Names/rosters/starters don't have to be in the scorebook prior to ten minutes before tip-off. That info just has to be given to the scorer prior to ten minutes before tip (NFHS 3-2-1/NCAA 3-3-1).
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

The video designates the visitors' bench as being on the left and the umpire is observing them warming up on the right ... but the team warming up on the right side of the court appears to be wearing white.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 04:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Reminder from the peanut gallery:

Names/rosters/starters don't have to be in the scorebook prior to ten minutes before tip-off. That info just has to be given to the scorer prior to ten minutes before tip (NFHS 3-2-1/NCAA 3-3-1).
Absolutely. There are too many that actually think they must have the book completely filled out.

We do not have a definitive policy about when to check the book, but most people around here go to the table around 12:00 or a little earlier to make sure that the information is properly submitted. All I care about at that time is do they have the information submitted and then if not filled out I go do the captain's meeting immediately. Then I come back to the table and then make sure the book is taken care of before game time. Then after the book is filled out by the scorer, I go to each coach and get them to "sign off" on the information to make sure that nothing was incorrectly submitted. Once they give me their initials, I sign the book myself with my information.

Peace
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
The video designates the visitors' bench as being on the left and the umpire is observing them warming up on the right ... but the team warming up on the right side of the court appears to be wearing white.
Good observation... I may have to make this dang video all over again!
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvboa View Post
Good observation... I may have to make this dang video all over again!
Just flip it horizontally. Sure, your text might be backwards but at least the descriptions would be right!