The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
The standard is that this should not be done when reporting.
I'm confused. The two hands shouldn't be done or the verbalizing of the number shouldn't be done in conjunction with the hand signals?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I'm confused. The two hands shouldn't be done or the verbalizing of the number shouldn't be done in conjunction with the hand signals?
He's saying that it's "fourteen", not "one-four".
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He's saying that it's "fourteen", not "one-four".
Interesting. It was definitely taught "one-four" in my training class a few years ago, but now that you mention it, I've seen our interpreter officiate once, and he did it the "fourteen" way.

All varsity officials on my board (that I've seen do games, at least) do the individual digits, to the best of my recollection. Is it possible the "fourteen" way is a college thing?

I'm intrigued.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Interesting. It was definitely taught "one-four" in my training class a few years ago, but now that you mention it, I've seen our interpreter officiate once, and he did it the "fourteen" way.

All varsity officials on my board (that I've seen do games, at least) do the individual digits, to the best of my recollection. Is it possible the "fourteen" way is a college thing?

I'm intrigued.
College mechanic? Nope...it's what we teach in my association (to say the number...not the digits) and from that times we've discussed this, it seems like a majority of associations teach it that way as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:46pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
College mechanic? Nope...it's what we teach in my association (to say the number...not the digits) and from that times we've discussed this, it seems like a majority of associations teach it that way as well.
And it specifically says in the NFHS officials manual that "fourteen" is correct and appropriate, and "one-four" is not.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Perhaps they are teaching it that way due to the new NFHS Mechanics Points of Emphasis? NFHS Official's Manual 0.2.1, paragraph 3.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 10:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think it comes down to personal preference for many of us. Still say one-four and have for years. I have found in college games I have said "fourteen" at times. I think the main thing is to do it slow be loud with your voice.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 07:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

United We Stand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think it comes down to personal preference for many of us.
I'm not fond of personal preferences in mechanics, or, for that matter, any aspect of officiating. I believe that it should be more of a "When in Rome ..." thing. Officiating should be pretty much consistent within any association. Teach it one way, and do it one way. I know that JRutledge, from past posts, isn't particularly fond of "robot" officials, but standards should be set, and adhered to, within any association. This makes it easy for new officials to learn the "ropes".

Note: I'm a "one-four" guy, that's the way I was taught thirty-two years ago, and that's the way I teach new officials on our board. However, I'm pleased that the NFHS has finally decided to publish a "correct way" ("fourteen"). Let's see if IAABO follows suit, because right now, there are no specific IAABO mechanics guidelines published regarding this topic.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 07:54am.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not fond of personal preferences in mechanics, or, for that matter, any aspect of officiating. I believe that it should be more of a "When in Rome ..." thing. Officiating should be pretty much consistent within any association. Teach it one way, and do it one way. I know that JRutledge, from past posts, isn't particularly fond of "robot" officials, but standards should be set, and adhered to, within any association. This makes it easy for new officials to learn the "ropes".

Note: I'm a "one-four" guy, that's the way I was taught thirty-two years ago, and that's the way I teach new officials on our board. However, I'm pleased that the NFHS has finally decided to publish a "correct way" ("fourteen"). Let's see if IAABO follows suit, because right now, there are no specific IAABO mechanics guidelines published regarding this topic.
Everything in officiating is not regulated or has a policy.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Peace
Exactly. Frankly, this boils down to pleasing the people who give a crap.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

At least all three guys should do it the same game by game. It sure looks better tableside. Don't know if you care about "pleasing" them, but it makes it easier on those guys (and girls) to understand the call. I know we think only one person over there (table-wearing the stripe this year) needs to know, but I would submit not only the official bookkeeper, but the PA guy who announces the foul, the clock operator (where boards that show ind foul totals) and the V keeper all need to be able to comprehend the foul signal at the same time. In reporting the fouls, you might be looking at only one set of eyes, but plenty more are looking at you, needing accurate info.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
At least all three guys should do it the same game by game. It sure looks better tableside. Don't know if you care about "pleasing" them, but it makes it easier on those guys (and girls) to understand the call. I know we think only one person over there (table-wearing the stripe this year) needs to know, but I would submit not only the official bookkeeper, but the PA guy who announces the foul, the clock operator (where boards that show ind foul totals) and the V keeper all need to be able to comprehend the foul signal at the same time. In reporting the fouls, you might be looking at only one set of eyes, but plenty more are looking at you, needing accurate info.
Again, too much regulation and people trying to tell us something that almost never is an issue. Never heard any table people ask all officials to be the same. Next thing you are going to say is that all books should be in the same font so that everyone understands are can clearly read.

For the record my only concern is the scorekeeper, if they are wrong we have more problems than the PA guy.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, too much regulation and people trying to tell us something that almost never is an issue. Never heard any table people ask all officials to be the same. Next thing you are going to say is that all books should be in the same font so that everyone understands are can clearly read.

For the record my only concern is the scorekeeper, if they are wrong we have more problems than the PA guy.

Peace
Dont see this as asking too much. We regulate where we stand for a time out and whether you all have all black shoes or all have some white in them.. What's more important, stuff like that or an individual foul call being accurate?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Dont see this as asking too much. We regulate where we stand for a time out and whether you all have all black shoes or all have some white in them.. What's more important, stuff like that or an individual foul call being accurate?
If a scorer can't understand 14 and one-four as being the same thing just coming from two different officials, we have a bigger problem to worry about.

I've worked with a few guys this season in HS games who reported with two hands whereas I only do that when working college games. They managed just fine at the table.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This boils down to pleasing the people who give a crap.
Thus, my, "When in Rome ..." comment.

Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, it is regulated, and we care about how an official signals a foul to the bench. "One. Four" is what we consider the correct way, and that's the way we teach new officials. To ignore the guideline, and not do it, would not only confuse new officials, but it could negatively impact your game schedule, level of games, and number of games.

For those who officiate in "Rome", then by all means do it the "Roman" way, which, in some parts of Rome may be to report the number as, "Fourteen.", or in other parts of Rome it may be any "personal" way that you want to do it, and thus vary from official, to official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)