The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Is a one-handed set illegal? I didn't see the actual contact, because I was down, and it was away from the net. But the coach (other team, of course) didn't like it. I said, "Show me the rule book reference, coach". I said, "If it's prolonged contact, then it's illegal, one or two hands doesn't matter". Was I right?
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing per se illegal about a one handed set provided there's no prolonged contact and the ball does not visibly come to rest.

Although, except for the "one-handed fist poke" or the "fake jump set and dump" techniques, I'd think it difficult to actually perform a one-handed set WITHOUT having a lift.

Still, if the setter can do it without prolonged contact or visibly coming to rest, it's certainly legal.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

The one handed set is to be judged the same as the power dink. There is some prolonged contact but as long as there is no wrist break (twist or movement) it is considered legal.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paparada
The one handed set is to be judged the same as the power dink. There is some prolonged contact but as long as there is no wrist break (twist or movement) it is considered legal.
Actually, I think it's exactly the opposite.

Rule 9-5-1.c "A block may involve wrist action provided there is no prolonged contact."

SFAIK, prolonged contact is -never- permitted. Please cite the rule or casebook discussion which you believe allows prolonged contact on a one-handed set, "power dink" or any other ball handling situation.

Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Homer,
As someone who has played, officiated, and coached for more years than I would like to admit, ugh. We all know there are accepted practices in every game and volleyball is no exception. The power dink is nothing more than a push of the ball where there is some prolonged contact and is accepted as long as there is no turn of the wrist to change direction. The one handed set falls under the same category. One thing a good official does is to learn the reason a rule was put in place inorder to enforce a rule correctly. As is the case with power dinks and one handed sets.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Homer,
As someone who has played, officiated, and coached for more years than I would like to admit, ugh. We all know there are accepted practices in every game and volleyball is no exception. The power dink is nothing more than a push of the ball where there is some prolonged contact and is accepted as long as there is no turn of the wrist to change direction. The one handed set falls under the same category. One thing a good official does is to learn the reason a rule was put in place inorder to enforce a rule correctly. As is the case with power dinks and one handed sets.
So are you saying, it would be acceptable to use either a certain type of prolonged contact, OR some wrist action, but not both?
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

If you are not familiar with a power dink, it is an action where the hitter takes the ball in their finger tips and pushes the ball down on the opponents court. There is some prolonged contact and has not been called a lift/carry as long as the player does not break their wrist either in a side or snapping down motion. They also must begin their contact from in front of their body. If it where to begin from behind the body/head, then it has been called a carry. The one handed set is an action where a player will push the ball to a hitter with the ball on their finger tips and there is some prolonged contact. In short and answer to your question is yes as long as the player does not change the direction of the ball with wrist movement. It's almost as if the wrist must be in a locked position, straight from the arm. This has been an accepted play in volleyball everywhere I've played, coached, and refered. That covers six states and DC and I've yet to see it called differently, with a few exceptions.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I just re-read you question. Wrist action is another story. If there is prolonged contact and wrist action it is a lift. It's all about changing the direction of the ball. Also, I can't say prolonged contact is allowed but once again these plays (one handed sets and power dinks) have become accepted actions in the game. Ex. prolonged contact on a forearm pass will be called a lift, prolonged contact on a two handed set may or may not be called a lift. We've all seen setters that "deep dish". If you understand setting then you know that setting is truly a lift but usually done fairly quickly. After all, if you take a ball going in one direction and make it go in another, there truly is only one way to do that using two hands and "finger action".
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After all, if you take a ball going in one direction and make it go in another, there truly is only one way to do that using two hands and "finger action".
I'm not arguing with you here, but I do see a difference between contact that lasts all the time the fingers go down, and then up, and contact that occurs only as the fingers are moving up. The second one would be a clean set, even if there were wrist and finger action and the ball's direction was changed. Right?
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

yes, I agree. The "deep dish" set is considered clean. I am just using that as an example of plays that although my be considered against the rules that are permitted.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

It is clear that there are accepted pratices.

For my part, I actually use a lot of wrist action on the power tip. That's do to using a full swing, but instead of spiking the ball, I'm directing the ball down with fingers. Essentially it's a finger hit. Due to the rules written down and express by many other players and referees, it's seems to be illegal. However the hit is always a clean single contact.

I'm also wondering about the "deep dish" set. How deep can a person go before it's called a lift? I've seen people go down as far as mid chest below the shoulder level. Is this still legal?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think that what we are all forgetting is that these are all judgement calls.

The judgement of a newbie, it going to be vastly different that a vet.

The judgement of someone who is a HS, USAV, and PAVO official will be vastly different that someone who does HS exclusively.

By its wording, the Fed restrictions on handling is much tighter than any other rule set. Depending on how deep you want to interpret the rules, a HS official may be calling a "tighter" game than others.

"Power Dinks", while sometimes ugly are quite acceptable. One handed sets are perfectly legal as well, as long they are properly executed. We should be rewarding players for great plays, not penalizing them with strict interpretations of the rules. The goal of 1st hit doubles, let serves, libero, rally scoring, and the non-playable area changes is to lengthen the rally's and let the players play. There was a great article the last official word on over/under control of the ball. I highly recommend reading it.

For Homer, the "spirit" of the rules needs to be taken in account for these types of hits. Most high level basketball players travel on the way to a spectacular dunk, but officials generally pass on calling it. They use the "spirit" of the rules to allow the players to decide the game and perform. By rule when the hoops players guys take steps it is a violation and by rule prolonged contact is a violation. But there are shades of grey and these types of hits are the grey area of volleyball.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson

For Homer, the "spirit" of the rules needs to be taken in account for these types of hits. Most high level basketball players travel on the way to a spectacular dunk, but officials generally pass on calling it. They use the "spirit" of the rules to allow the players to decide the game and perform. By rule when the hoops players guys take steps it is a violation and by rule prolonged contact is a violation. But there are shades of grey and these types of hits are the grey area of volleyball.
If "the spirit of the rules" allows traveling on a dunk, the "letter of the rules" should say that. Clearly no such exception is written into the rules.

As officials, we are charged with administering the rules, as written and not in accordance with some mythical "spirit".

Indeed, when it comes to the FED rules on blocking, it's pretty clear that the both the letter and the spirit of the rules forbids prolonged contact.

"A block may involve wrist action provided there is no prolonged contact".

If we were intended to administer some sort of "spirit of the rules" and allow prolonged contact on a power dink, then they wouldn't have inserted the part about "provided there is no prolonged contact".

There can, of course, be differences between officials and officating styles as to just how much contact is required before it is adjudged to be prolonged. But iffen we see prolonged contact, then we are supposed to toot the whistle.

And we're not doing our job if we don't and decide to utilize some mythical "spirit of the rules" instead of The Rules.

[Edited by homer on May 1st, 2004 at 07:52 PM]