The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 03:04am
AremRed

Game control and communication

As a first year guy, I am obviously still learning many of the facets of officiating. However, I have noticed that two aspects of my "game" are lagging behind. I am pretty good calling plays, and my mechanics are good. However, my "game control" and communication skills seem to need work. I had an observer say I need to use my voice to control the game. 1. What does this look like? Also, I hear a lot from my partner about how "this coach said such and such". The thing is, I rarely talk to a coach. During free throws (2 man) I am not near the bench, so I don't talk to the coach then. 2. When (and how) during the game should I interact with the coach? I listen when I make a bad call and the coach asks me about it, but that's about it. I guess I also want to know how to get more positive interaction with coaches, instead of just interacting with them in negative circumstances.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 03:23am
Do not give a damn!!

The fact that you are a first year official, this is something that is going to come wiht time. It is not easy for a very new official to know how to talk to coaches or know when to talk to officials. Honestly you will be 15 years in and still have some issues from time to time, but those issues might be less because you have been through a lot of wars on the court to know what to say. When you are dealing with coaches that have a wide variety of values, focuses, experience levels, successes and attitudes, it is very hard for one size to fit all. Sometimes you just have to know when you are going to be wrong and deal with it when it comes to coaches. It is not totally bad to ignore coaches, but you have to know when to ignore them and when to pay very close attention to when they speak. Because if you just ignore them, they will accuse you of something you did not try to give off as a perception. Just work hard and try to work on something every game. It will come to you more and more you work games.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

As JRut said, it's something that will come with time. I can tell you there's a big jump from 1st to 2nd year in how comfortable you'll feel, in this and other aspects. You'll learn to recognize that there are different categories of how they'll say stuff.

"You"...fill in the blank. Unless it's relatively innocuous like "you couldn't have seen that" or "that's not your call" from the rare coach who actually knows what our coverage areas are, shut this personally directed line down quickly. Even in the example when it's not really personal, don't let it go too long.

"Travel" or "Foul"....isolated, not that big of a deal, especially if not yelled out. But it can't become a running commentary. This could be a good time to use the progression of Ignore, Acknowledge, Warn, Whack.

"Oh Come on!", "What??". Perhaps ignore at first, see where it's going. But be vigilant for it going further. This could be where a quick explanation might help. "Coach, defender had guarding position".

Work youth travel or [shudder] AAU games and you'll likely get MUCH more practice at game mgmt situations than school ball. More daddy coaches, more crazies, but more stuff that happens. Often, it's just experience that you need. You'll have T's that you don't give that will haunt you forever! But you'll never forget.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 02:03am
AremRed

You guys missed the thrust of what I was saying. First, what does "controlling the game with your voice" look like? Is that just preventative stuff, communicating with the players to do different things?

Also, when is the best time to talk to the coach? I just don't see enough time between events to talk with the coach, and am not sure what appropriate time to talk look like.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 02:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
First, what does "controlling the game with your voice" look like?
Who was the observer that told you this? I would say you need to ask him.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Control the game with your voice: To me, I control the game with my voice after the whistle directing players to inbound spot or line up for free throws. During and after held ball, using voice for players to relax and release ball. After a hard foul, stepping in with voice to keep players from retaliating and to relax the fouled. Calling color number at point of foul and indicate consequence for partner and for players and lastly, coaches.

Talk to coaches in passing during transition, during dead ball if possible. Oh, and smile when you can, that does go aways.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Like reffish said, directing traffic after the whistle is a good way to give yourself presence. Also, especially at the lower levels, talking to players while the ball is live, letting them know that you're watching and trying to talk them out of fouls. "Hands!" at the top of key, "Straight up!" In the post when there is a competitive matchup or shot going up, things like that
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
Control the game with your voice: To me, I control the game with my voice after the whistle directing players to inbound spot or line up for free throws. During and after held ball, using voice for players to relax and release ball. After a hard foul, stepping in with voice to keep players from retaliating and to relax the fouled. Calling color number at point of foul and indicate consequence for partner and for players and lastly, coaches.

Talk to coaches in passing during transition, during dead ball if possible. Oh, and smile when you can, that does go aways.
This.

+1
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
The thing is, I rarely talk to a coach.
A first year guy usually doesn't talk much...they don't know what to say.

My advice to 1st year guys is to ignore more than talk. You don't have any credability, YET, you don't have much experience, YET, and your terminology probably needs some work.

You asked a great question...but, it is kind of like a 21 yr. old guy asking some "experienced" bar hoppers what you should say to that good looking young lady over at the bar.

(If you don't know what to say...just stand there and look pretty)

It will come to you as you gain experience.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 07:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Already Have A Wing Man ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Kind of like a 21 yr. old guy asking some "experienced" bar hoppers what you should say to that good looking young lady over at the bar.
A better question, what does an official say to a hot, single, mom sitting in the stands? "Do you come here often?" "So, are you a big basketball fan?" "Do you think that these stripes are slimming?" "How'm I doing?" "Can I buy you some popcorn?"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 07:38am.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 08:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
A first year guy usually doesn't talk much...they don't know what to say.

My advice to 1st year guys is to ignore more than talk. You don't have any credability, YET, you don't have much experience, YET, and your terminology probably needs some work.

You asked a great question...but, it is kind of like a 21 yr. old guy asking some "experienced" bar hoppers what you should say to that good looking young lady over at the bar.

(If you don't know what to say...just stand there and look pretty)

It will come to you as you gain experience.
Great advice, IMO.