The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

End of game communication

Worked a VG game last night...H team is down 3, V team fouls to send H to line for 1 and 1 with 2.8 remaining. (good coaching move by the way). Girl makes first and H coach calls time out. We get together real quick, discuss lane violations and shot hitting the rim assuming he will have her miss the shot. We forget to discuss one thing...clock starting.

Girl makes second shot...V team throws ball away on the inbounds..H steals, shoots, misses, rebounds shoots and makes it to win. Place is going nuts since H team won...until we wave it off.

No complaints from H coach since it was clear it took more than 2.8 seconds and we were actually blowing it dead as the second shot went up..but lesson learned on things to communicate in that situation.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 11:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Worked a VG game last night...H team is down 3, V team fouls to send H to line for 1 and 1 with 2.8 remaining. (good coaching move by the way). Girl makes first and H coach calls time out. We get together real quick, discuss lane violations and shot hitting the rim assuming he will have her miss the shot. We forget to discuss one thing...clock starting.

Girl makes second shot...V team throws ball away on the inbounds..H steals, shoots, misses, rebounds shoots and makes it to win. Place is going nuts since H team won...until we wave it off.

No complaints from H coach since it was clear it took more than 2.8 seconds and we were actually blowing it dead as the second shot went up..but lesson learned on things to communicate in that situation.
This isn't something that really requires a discussion -- the official responsible for the last second shot needs to look at the clock and ensure it starts. It's something I do regardless of my position on the floor.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This isn't something that really requires a discussion -- the official responsible for the last second shot needs to look at the clock and ensure it starts. It's something I do regardless of my position on the floor.
C had tapped his chest before the first shot taking responsibility (opposite table) but I think it caught us by suprise that she made the second shot...we were all looking for a miss I believe. So we knew who had the clock and in postgame he admitted he blew it but if we had communicated during the timeout it might not have gotten overlooked.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Good post. So just a little home cooking by the table? Did the clock just not start at all or just really late?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Good post. So just a little home cooking by the table? Did the clock just not start at all or just really late?
Didn't start at all..when we blew it dead there was still 2.8 on the clock.

No home cooking here..it was a really good game and he just got caught up in the excitement.

Little background...this is by far the smallest HS gym in MT that I have seen. H team school enrollment is 26 (9-12) and I believe 23 of the kids are on either the B or G basketball teams. So the whole town is packed into this small..and I mean small gym and the girls have been pretty bad this year. For them to be in this situation had everyone..including the clock guy I guess...on the edge of the seat. It was a fun night!
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:22pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs up

Quote:
Didn't start at all..when we blew it dead there was still 2.8 on the clock.

No home cooking here..it was a really good game and he just got caught up in the excitement.

Little background...this is by far the smallest HS gym in MT that I have seen. H team school enrollment is 26 (9-12) and I believe 23 of the kids are on either the B or G basketball teams. So the whole town is packed into this small..and I mean small gym and the girls have been pretty bad this year. For them to be in this situation had everyone..including the clock guy I guess...on the edge of the seat. It was a fun night!
Noisy gyms are the best. The old Craftsbury Academy gym in VT was replaced this year. Short court. Overhead obstructions. No division line. Restraining lines. Backboard affixed to wall. Great atmosphere.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:23pm
beware big brother

enrollment is 26, how do they even keep the school open?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This isn't something that really requires a discussion -- the official responsible for the last second shot needs to look at the clock and ensure it starts.
Except that if the ball is immediately in his / her area that official might not be able to do so.

Quote:
It's something I do regardless of my position on the floor.
Yes, if off-ball or if possible while on-ball.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
enrollment is 26, how do they even keep the school open?
Good old Montana!!

When I got here last year my first game was in that gym..the division line is only about 10 feet past the 3 point line and if you wear bigger than a size 10 you aren't shooting from the corners...and I was like "what hillbilly place do they have me in?" But after being in that atmosphere with the whole town there, loud, it wasn't the same when I went back to the big schools.

It is hard to explain unless you have been here but they have some really small rural schools in this area and they love their teams!
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Except that if the ball is immediately in his / her area that official might not be able to do so.
Fair comment.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Why not go to table and remind them to start the clock on your chop?

Had a situation several years ago. Tie game, visiting teams ball, had to go the length of the floor to win, 2.3 on the clock. Visitors last time out is called. I told the clock to watch for partners chop on inbound. What happens? time keeper starts clock as ball is handed to visitors. They throw long pass and the ball is deflected then recovered by visitors.

Now the home team sets up to avoid long pass and score and visitors lose in OT.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Why not go to table and remind them to start the clock on your chop?
Good point...and will probably add that next time I am in that situation.

I really think the whole place was suprised when she made the second shot..just wasn't expected after he had just called tim out.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good old Montana!!

When I got here last year my first game was in that gym..the division line is only about 10 feet past the 3 point line and if you wear bigger than a size 10 you aren't shooting from the corners...and I was like "what hillbilly place do they have me in?" But after being in that atmosphere with the whole town there, loud, it wasn't the same when I went back to the big schools.

It is hard to explain unless you have been here but they have some really small rural schools in this area and they love their teams!
My first few years of officiating were in Montana. More cows that people in the two counties we covered and the gyms were always packed. Very few schools here can match the atmosphere created in those small gyms.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

In retrospect, how much time are you estimating actually elapsed?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In retrospect, how much time are you estimating actually elapsed?
Good questions because 2.8 can be a "long" time. My guess is 4 seconds at least..steal, shoot, rebound, shoot.