The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:17pm
NFHS Official

Re-Shoot Free Throw

Foul by B1 on shot, bucket goes. Report to table, number and 1 shot. So A1 is at free throw line. Partner bounces ball. As the shooter is about to start his shot the horn goes off, he hesitates and then shoots. Before he shoots partner starts walking up the lane upon hearing the horn, shutting it down. The table didn't get the number. So, the free throw went in, I was moving towards the table when I saw my partner moving up the lane.

So. Do we count the free throw, or shoot another one? We shot another one, as I explained to the coach, the horn sounded, your player hesitated and and partner was walking up the lane. I asked him what if he would have missed it? Would you want another free throw or just play on.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Did either of you blow the whistle?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:24pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Did either of you blow the whistle?
You know I don't remeber. This was last Tuesday, and I forgot about it until just now. I know I didn't, but not sure about him. I see were your going. If the whistle blows it is dead, if not, play on.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Was this the home team? That would be a factor to me.

Again there is no right or wrong here. If players reacted to the horn, that could cause all kinds of problems. What if the other players stopped paying attention to the FT?

I have no problem with what you did, but I would look at everything in total and not just what the FT shooter was doing. And then make sure that is not the way the table should handle that situation would be a conversation I would have with them.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:35pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Was this the home team? That would be a factor to me.

Again there is no right or wrong here. If players reacted to the horn, that could cause all kinds of problems. What if the other players stopped paying attention to the FT?

I have no problem with what you did, but I would look at everything in total and not just what the FT shooter was doing. And then make sure that is not the way the table should handle that situation would be a conversation I would have with them.

Peace
No, it was the road team, players in the lane looked over to the table. I told the table after. If you don't know a number wait until the free throw is over. If made hit the horn, if not wait until the next dead ball to hit the horn.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Typically when the horn sounds erroneously, officials, coaches, and players instinctively look to the table. Thus, I always kill the play.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
No, it was the road team, players in the lane looked over to the table. I told the table after. If you don't know a number wait until the free throw is over. If made hit the horn, if not wait until the next dead ball to hit the horn.
I just might have given them the basket. Only because the home team has an interest in interfering with the free throws. And if he missed the shot and players are not ready to rebound, you could have another issue or debate.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:47pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
I just might have given them the basket. Only because the home team has an interest in interfering with the free throws. And if he missed the shot and players are not ready to rebound, you could have another issue or debate.

Peace
He made the second free throw, so it all worked out. Had we played on and he missed, it could have gotten crazy. Did only one team play, or did both, that gets nuts. I just thought shutting it down and reshooting was the best thing.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:48pm
We don't rent pigs

I'd say it was like disconcertion. He made it, so play on.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
You know I don't remeber. This was last Tuesday, and I forgot about it until just now. I know I didn't, but not sure about him. I see were your going. If the whistle blows it is dead, if not, play on.
My thing is that if you didn't blow your whistle you shouldn't have started moving towards the table and if you partner didn't blow his whistle he shouldn't have started moving up the lane.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My thing is that if you didn't blow your whistle you shouldn't have started moving towards the table and if you partner didn't blow his whistle he shouldn't have started moving up the lane.
I agree with BNR. Your actions indicate that you had killed the play even if you had not yet announced it.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I think I would too. And, as hypocritical as it might be, I suspect I'd be leaning toward reshooting if he missed.

Home team shooting? I'd probably count the shot either way (miss or make)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'd probably count the shot either way (miss or make)
The home team misses...the home team has the AP arrow...the home team gets the ball back at a chance for more points...

hmmmm...bad FT shooter up, maybe not so dumb HOME table.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
i'd say it was like disconcertion. He made it, so play on.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
my thing is that if you didn't blow your whistle you shouldn't have started moving towards the table and if you partner didn't blow his whistle he shouldn't have started moving up the lane.
+1

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith