The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Re-Shoot Free Throw (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93816-re-shoot-free-throw.html)

OKREF Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:17pm

Re-Shoot Free Throw

Foul by B1 on shot, bucket goes. Report to table, number and 1 shot. So A1 is at free throw line. Partner bounces ball. As the shooter is about to start his shot the horn goes off, he hesitates and then shoots. Before he shoots partner starts walking up the lane upon hearing the horn, shutting it down. The table didn't get the number. So, the free throw went in, I was moving towards the table when I saw my partner moving up the lane.

So. Do we count the free throw, or shoot another one? We shot another one, as I explained to the coach, the horn sounded, your player hesitated and and partner was walking up the lane. I asked him what if he would have missed it? Would you want another free throw or just play on.

PG_Ref Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:21pm

Did either of you blow the whistle?

OKREF Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 876153)
Did either of you blow the whistle?

You know I don't remeber. This was last Tuesday, and I forgot about it until just now. I know I didn't, but not sure about him. I see were your going. If the whistle blows it is dead, if not, play on.

JRutledge Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:33pm

Was this the home team? That would be a factor to me.

Again there is no right or wrong here. If players reacted to the horn, that could cause all kinds of problems. What if the other players stopped paying attention to the FT?

I have no problem with what you did, but I would look at everything in total and not just what the FT shooter was doing. And then make sure that is not the way the table should handle that situation would be a conversation I would have with them.

Peace

OKREF Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 876159)
Was this the home team? That would be a factor to me.

Again there is no right or wrong here. If players reacted to the horn, that could cause all kinds of problems. What if the other players stopped paying attention to the FT?

I have no problem with what you did, but I would look at everything in total and not just what the FT shooter was doing. And then make sure that is not the way the table should handle that situation would be a conversation I would have with them.

Peace

No, it was the road team, players in the lane looked over to the table. I told the table after. If you don't know a number wait until the free throw is over. If made hit the horn, if not wait until the next dead ball to hit the horn.

SAJ Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:39pm

Typically when the horn sounds erroneously, officials, coaches, and players instinctively look to the table. Thus, I always kill the play.

JRutledge Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 876160)
No, it was the road team, players in the lane looked over to the table. I told the table after. If you don't know a number wait until the free throw is over. If made hit the horn, if not wait until the next dead ball to hit the horn.

I just might have given them the basket. Only because the home team has an interest in interfering with the free throws. And if he missed the shot and players are not ready to rebound, you could have another issue or debate.

Peace

OKREF Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 876164)
I just might have given them the basket. Only because the home team has an interest in interfering with the free throws. And if he missed the shot and players are not ready to rebound, you could have another issue or debate.

Peace

He made the second free throw, so it all worked out. Had we played on and he missed, it could have gotten crazy. Did only one team play, or did both, that gets nuts. I just thought shutting it down and reshooting was the best thing.

just another ref Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:48pm

I'd say it was like disconcertion. He made it, so play on.

Raymond Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 876155)
You know I don't remeber. This was last Tuesday, and I forgot about it until just now. I know I didn't, but not sure about him. I see were your going. If the whistle blows it is dead, if not, play on.

My thing is that if you didn't blow your whistle you shouldn't have started moving towards the table and if you partner didn't blow his whistle he shouldn't have started moving up the lane.

Eastshire Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 876179)
My thing is that if you didn't blow your whistle you shouldn't have started moving towards the table and if you partner didn't blow his whistle he shouldn't have started moving up the lane.

I agree with BNR. Your actions indicate that you had killed the play even if you had not yet announced it.

MD Longhorn Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 876164)

Peace

I think I would too. And, as hypocritical as it might be, I suspect I'd be leaning toward reshooting if he missed.

Home team shooting? I'd probably count the shot either way (miss or make)

RookieDude Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 876200)
I'd probably count the shot either way (miss or make)

The home team misses...the home team has the AP arrow...the home team gets the ball back at a chance for more points...

hmmmm...bad FT shooter up, maybe not so dumb HOME table. ;)

BktBallRef Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 876167)
i'd say it was like disconcertion. He made it, so play on.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 876179)
my thing is that if you didn't blow your whistle you shouldn't have started moving towards the table and if you partner didn't blow his whistle he shouldn't have started moving up the lane.

+1