The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Smile Weird shoot, Free Throw

Hi Guys and girls

I saw the most weird shoot this weekend on an AAU tournament.

It happen to one of my daughter team mate.

She was faulted and go 2 free throw.

She is in the free throw line, 1st throw, she get ready, shoot the ball. The shoot was very very soft shoot. The ball hit the front of the rim then the back then the front, then the ball went back and end up sitting on the back fo the rim resting there on the flench of the rim against the back board right in the center.

Every body was yelling go in, go in, go in, but the ball just rest on the back of rim and it did not move any more, the ref have to get another ball to nock down the ball from the rim.

What would you do in this sit. Redo the shoot or the shoot is over, and move to the 2nd throw.

The ref on that game cancell the shoot and move on to do the 2nd free throw.

Have any of you seen something like that before?

Thank
Rey
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
When a try comes to rest on the flange, the ball becomes dead. Since there is no team control during the try, play is resumed by an alternating possession throw-in -- unless there is definitely a free throw to follow. Then you simply end the FT and shoot the next one. So in your sitch, the official was correct.

Last edited by ChuckElias; Mon May 08, 2006 at 09:55am.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

A different take on your situation happened to me in a men's league game about a month ago. I'm L, A1 goes up for a layup, is fouled on the way up, and the ball bounces around a few times and looks like it's about to go in. I'm getting ready to signal the good hoop, when, yep, you guessed it, the ball just stayed up there. And when I say the ball bounced around a few times, it was probably up there for a good 3-4 seconds before finally resting.

Moral of the story: missed FG attempt, 2 shots. But on a layup, I bet I never see that happen again....