The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Scoreboard out

Another thread reminded me of an instance a few years ago where the scoreboard would not work properly for Girls Varsity (problem started in JV game and they just decided not to use it at all for V) A timer used a stopwatch at table and PA guy tried his best to keep score announced. Thing I remember the most, and reason for the post, how amazingly more laid back and calm the fans and overall atmosphere was, since time, score, and team fouls were not posted for all to see. Anyone had similar experience?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen a few years back.the board would go out at random points during the game and give us error codes which we documented for the company.had to reprogram the board several times a game that year and we got two new control panels because the issues were determined to have been caused by the board.we always told the refs to keep an eye on the clock and we would do our best to keep an eye on the time of an outage.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:07pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Thing I remember the most, and reason for the post, how amazingly more laid back and calm the fans and overall atmosphere was, since time, score, and team fouls were not posted for all to see.
This would make a great experiment. I would take it a step further. Suppose we play a boys varsity game with no scoreboard, and no announcement of anything. The kids would just play, and the score announced at the end of the game. I realize the score is the most important thing, so perhaps it is announced at the end of each quarter? Either way, the table keeps track of everything but does not report anything. The coaches (and crowd) only know when they are in the bonus which might cut down on "we have more fouls than they do!" complaints. I understand someone could write this down, but lets presume that the only people writing down the info would be the home and away scorekeeper. How cool would that be! Guys just going out and playing hard without worrying about all that stuff.