The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Greetings,
I have volunteered to run the scoreboard for my local high school BB games, both boys and girls. I have some experience with basketball having been a youth league coach but high school basketball is new to me. I would like any info on the guidelines for scorekeeping. Specifically, running the clocks both shot and main. I know that there are a lot of books that cover high school bb rules for officials but what about scorekeepers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Glen
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...OOT&NewsImage=

In the box/window/square on the right is a link to a .PDF file describing the duties of timers and scorekeepers. It does not, however, cover the shot clock.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply I make a copy of this and start reading it asap. Glen
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by ToolinFool
Thanks for the quick reply I make a copy of this and start reading it asap. Glen
And then come back here and ask questions, as situations arise. We had a guy who did score for a D1 school that posted here a lot. He has graduated now, and doesn't come around any more. A scorekeeper would be a welcome addition!

My number one tip would be to pay attention. Keep your head in the game. Don't think about anything else. Once you've mastered that skill, everything else will fall into place.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

One tip I've found useful is if you have the type of scoreboard control panel that has an LED display on the panel, set it back to show the running time after entering a score or a foul or possession. Usally by default they show the last function you used. By showing the time, you don't have to keep looking up at the clock to ensure you've re-started it. This will help you keep focused on the game action.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ToolinFool
Greetings,
I have volunteered to run the scoreboard for my local high school BB games, both boys and girls. I have some experience with basketball having been a youth league coach but high school basketball is new to me. I would like any info on the guidelines for scorekeeping. Specifically, running the clocks both shot and main. I know that there are a lot of books that cover high school bb rules for officials but what about scorekeepers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Glen
Glen,
Welcome to the forum.
Advice? ...Get another person to operate the shot clock.
mick