The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:47am
Often wrong never n doubt

stating the foul count

I had a partner tell me that if a Coach states the foul count, such as it is 9 to 3, that is supposed to be an automatic Technical Foul. Is this true? If so where is this listed?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

It's not an automatic T
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:53am
Medium Kahuna

It's unsporting and needs to be addressed if repeated. Not an immediate, first-offense, instant-over-the-line T from me.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

If a coach says something to me about foul counts, that is when I am a smartazz. I will either say, "So" or "Stop fouling." But I will not automatically call a T for this.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:58am
TODO: creative title here

Assuming the foul count comment isn't at the ABS limit:

First time:
"I don't count 'em, Coach, I just call 'em when they happen"

Second time:
"That's enough, Coach."

Third time:
Whack. While saying in my head: "and now it's 10 to 4"
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

We've been told at the NCAA (men) level that this is no longer to be tolerated. It's not a first-time whack, but it is not a topic of conversation.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:27pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If a coach says something to me about foul counts, that is when I am a smartazz. I will either say, "So" or "Stop fouling." But I will not automatically call a T for this.

Peace

+1

"I guess they need to stop fouling then." Said this before.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I am with you Rut. I Tell them, "Tell your players to stop fouling"
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:46pm
We don't rent pigs

It is possible to have a civil conversation about the foul count.

Last week GV at halftime:

Coach: The fouls are 11 to 3. I know we're fouling, but they only fouled us 3 times?

Me: Coach, how many times did you even attempt to throw the ball into the paint? (opponent had 2 BIG girls in there)

Coach: _______________

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

That sounds like too long of a discussion over something they are trying to accuse you of something nefarious. You are not going to "reason" with them most of the time if you are discussing this issue. Even if you tell them why they are getting more fouls called, they will still debate it with you. That is why I say what I say so that they will get the message I am not going to debate this with them.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I usually give them the "Don't start with that" or "Don't go there" when they start in about the foul count. That usually does the trick.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:19pm
Huck Finn

A coach complaining about the foul count is basically accusing the officials of cheating.
Officials that purposely keep the foul count even are basically cheating.

I'm not sure what it is, but I am getting increasingly tired of coaches and nonsense like this. We have to care about one team or another to even consider cheating and...we don't care that much. I also don't know of one official that is purposely kicking calls. How many of us have actually listened to blanking and moaning from a coach and changed a call? It happens so little that it is counterproductive. I understand emotions involved with basketball, but some of the coaches - in my area anyway - just take it too far. Most of the college coaches I have come in contact with this season are OK once you acknowledge their concern - and they are often working for their jobs. High school coaches on the other hand can take it to another level. If it is an extension of the classroom, some of them are horrible teachers. I have worked in areas where high school coaches make $100,000 (reportedly) and the only thing they do is coach. Where I live right now is not one of those areas!

Sorry, that is the end of my rant.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I ignore this, then if it happens again, I warn them that we won't be discussing the foul count. I actually told a coach earlier this year, "That's the last time you mention the foul count."

I normally don't get that aggressive, but it worked there; he didn't bring it up again. Although it went from 5-0 after the first quarter to 6-2 by half. Second half was, of course, unbalanced in the reverse.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I had a partner tell me that if a Coach states the foul count, such as it is 9 to 3, that is supposed to be an automatic Technical Foul. Is this true? If so where is this listed?
Had a game recently in which the foul count started 6-0 in the first half. During free throws for the 6th foul the coach stated the foul count was 6 to zero. I replied "So?" Yes, I know, not the proper response. But since I did address his statement improperly I allowed him to engage me in conversation. During our quick talk I pointed out to the coach that his team was playing a tight man defense and the opponent weren't even getting back on defense and giving up uncontested shots. (he was winning 19-13 at the time).
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It is possible to have a civil conversation about the foul count.

Last week GV at halftime:

Coach: The fouls are 11 to 3. I know we're fouling, but they only fouled us 3 times?

Me: Coach, how many times did you even attempt to throw the ball into the paint? (opponent had 2 BIG girls in there)

Coach: _______________
Sure... it's possible to have this conversation. But why? Why engage yourself in a scheme or strategy conversation with the coach. Besides ... coach telling you the foul count is telling you because he think's you're doing something wrong. It needs to be clipped short. Quickly.

West Houston Mike