The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   stating the foul count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93814-stating-foul-count.html)

jeremy341a Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47am

stating the foul count

I had a partner tell me that if a Coach states the foul count, such as it is 9 to 3, that is supposed to be an automatic Technical Foul. Is this true? If so where is this listed?

APG Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:48am

It's not an automatic T

maven Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53am

It's unsporting and needs to be addressed if repeated. Not an immediate, first-offense, instant-over-the-line T from me.

JRutledge Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57am

If a coach says something to me about foul counts, that is when I am a smartazz. I will either say, "So" or "Stop fouling." But I will not automatically call a T for this.

Peace

jTheUmp Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58am

Assuming the foul count comment isn't at the ABS limit:

First time:
"I don't count 'em, Coach, I just call 'em when they happen"

Second time:
"That's enough, Coach."

Third time:
Whack. While saying in my head: "and now it's 10 to 4"

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:25pm

We've been told at the NCAA (men) level that this is no longer to be tolerated. It's not a first-time whack, but it is not a topic of conversation.

OKREF Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 876114)
If a coach says something to me about foul counts, that is when I am a smartazz. I will either say, "So" or "Stop fouling." But I will not automatically call a T for this.

Peace

+1

"I guess they need to stop fouling then." Said this before.

tophat67 Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 876114)

Peace

I am with you Rut. I Tell them, "Tell your players to stop fouling"

just another ref Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:46pm

It is possible to have a civil conversation about the foul count.

Last week GV at halftime:

Coach: The fouls are 11 to 3. I know we're fouling, but they only fouled us 3 times?

Me: Coach, how many times did you even attempt to throw the ball into the paint? (opponent had 2 BIG girls in there)

Coach: _______________

JRutledge Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:02pm

That sounds like too long of a discussion over something they are trying to accuse you of something nefarious. You are not going to "reason" with them most of the time if you are discussing this issue. Even if you tell them why they are getting more fouls called, they will still debate it with you. That is why I say what I say so that they will get the message I am not going to debate this with them.

Peace

zm1283 Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:04pm

I usually give them the "Don't start with that" or "Don't go there" when they start in about the foul count. That usually does the trick.

tomegun Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:19pm

A coach complaining about the foul count is basically accusing the officials of cheating.
Officials that purposely keep the foul count even are basically cheating.

I'm not sure what it is, but I am getting increasingly tired of coaches and nonsense like this. We have to care about one team or another to even consider cheating and...we don't care that much. I also don't know of one official that is purposely kicking calls. How many of us have actually listened to blanking and moaning from a coach and changed a call? It happens so little that it is counterproductive. I understand emotions involved with basketball, but some of the coaches - in my area anyway - just take it too far. Most of the college coaches I have come in contact with this season are OK once you acknowledge their concern - and they are often working for their jobs. High school coaches on the other hand can take it to another level. If it is an extension of the classroom, some of them are horrible teachers. I have worked in areas where high school coaches make $100,000 (reportedly) and the only thing they do is coach. Where I live right now is not one of those areas!

Sorry, that is the end of my rant.

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:40pm

I ignore this, then if it happens again, I warn them that we won't be discussing the foul count. I actually told a coach earlier this year, "That's the last time you mention the foul count."

I normally don't get that aggressive, but it worked there; he didn't bring it up again. Although it went from 5-0 after the first quarter to 6-2 by half. Second half was, of course, unbalanced in the reverse.

Raymond Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 876106)
I had a partner tell me that if a Coach states the foul count, such as it is 9 to 3, that is supposed to be an automatic Technical Foul. Is this true? If so where is this listed?

Had a game recently in which the foul count started 6-0 in the first half. During free throws for the 6th foul the coach stated the foul count was 6 to zero. I replied "So?" Yes, I know, not the proper response. But since I did address his statement improperly I allowed him to engage me in conversation. During our quick talk I pointed out to the coach that his team was playing a tight man defense and the opponent weren't even getting back on defense and giving up uncontested shots. (he was winning 19-13 at the time).

MD Longhorn Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 876165)
It is possible to have a civil conversation about the foul count.

Last week GV at halftime:

Coach: The fouls are 11 to 3. I know we're fouling, but they only fouled us 3 times?

Me: Coach, how many times did you even attempt to throw the ball into the paint? (opponent had 2 BIG girls in there)

Coach: _______________

Sure... it's possible to have this conversation. But why? Why engage yourself in a scheme or strategy conversation with the coach. Besides ... coach telling you the foul count is telling you because he think's you're doing something wrong. It needs to be clipped short. Quickly.