The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have a ten second captain meeting. I don't ask for speaking captains, but I do announce direction and color before my toss.

Tonight, however, I skipped that part in my girls JV game. Everything went fine, except the visitors spotted the home team 57 points before finishing strong to lose 57-1.
I tried to see how short I could make my captain's meeting last night. I was the R in the varsity game. "You guys are the captains, take care of your players on the court. Sportsmanship is important like it always is. Any questions? Good luck". I have yet to have a partner this year who is as short as I am. Probably four out of five throw in something about "Talking you out of fouls" (That one is really in vogue here), "Talking you out of three seconds"....etc.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Billy there is a way to group all of your quotes into one posts, it's the multi-quote feature.

And there's a nifty moderation tool called "Merge Posts", which I used on the 7 consecutive posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I tried to see how short I could make my captain's meeting last night. I was the R in the varsity game. "You guys are the captains, take care of your players on the court. Sportsmanship is important like it always is. Any questions? Good luck". I have yet to have a partner this year who is as short as I am. Probably four out of five throw in something about "Talking you out of fouls" (That one is really in vogue here), "Talking you out of three seconds"....etc.
My exact words last night:

"Sportsmanship is the number one priority tonight, guys. Any questions? Good luck."

I'm not sure I could get it any shorter.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to
be concerned about the following behaviors:

A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest
should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under
the basket where opponents are warming up. Teams should only enter, jog
or warm-up on their own half of the court. Gatherings intended to
motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player
introductions and post-game celebrations should be performed in the area
directly in front of the team bench. If during the pregame or half-time
warm-up period one team leaves the floor, the other team should not use
the entire court; teams should only warm-up on their half of the court.
Only authorized personnel should be permitted on the floor. All spectators
should be in designated areas.
Yep, that's the one. I did not officiate last year, and it's not in this year's rule book. And now that I read it, it says "teams should not run ... under the basket where opponents are warming up." That means it's essentially a strong suggestion. So that means we should do nothing other than tell the coach, "Hey, don't do that."
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
"Sportsmanship is the number one priority tonight, guys. Any questions? Good luck." I'm not sure I could get it any shorter.
"SP12Nt. ?'s? GL"

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
Yep, that's the one. I did not officiate last year, and it's not in this year's rule book. And now that I read it, it says "teams should not run ... under the basket where opponents are warming up." That means it's essentially a strong suggestion. So that means we should do nothing other than tell the coach, "Hey, don't do that."
Not just that, but it says WARMING UP... not "soon to be warming up." The other team wasn't there, there's nothing unsportsmanlike going on here.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Plus, back to the original description, if the locker rooms were on the opposite end of the court where they would be warming up, how on earth are they supposed to get there WITHOUT going near the other team's basket?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Plus, back to the original description, if the locker rooms were on the opposite end of the court where they would be warming up, how on earth are they supposed to get there WITHOUT going near the other team's basket?
There's a difference between "near" and "under".
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There's a difference between "near" and "under".
If they're just transiting from their locker to get to the other side of the court, even under the basket with the other team no where in sight, they're just coming out to warmup and there's not a chance in the world I'd ever call this.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If they're just transiting from their locker to get to the other side of the court, even under the basket with the other team no where in sight, they're just coming out to warmup and there's not a chance in the world I'd ever call this.
I wouldn't even notice. We don't take the floor until both teams come out and they're usually in position by the time we get on the floor.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wouldn't even notice. We don't take the floor until both teams come out and they're usually in position by the time we get on the floor.
We are told to stay out on the floor between games because there's usually less than a minute between the end of the girls' game and when the boys come out for warmups. But it's still something I'd never, ever call.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There's still a difference between "near" and "under", which is what you were commenting on. If the other team is not on the court, it's moot. If the other team is on the court, then the difference may make a difference.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 02:07pm.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEvol View Post
We are told to stay out on the floor between games because there's usually less than a minute between the end of the girls' game and when the boys come out for warmups. But it's still something I'd never, ever call.
We were told in a email a few weeks ago to LEAVE the court between a double header. This has to just be to leave the confines of the gym. I had a G-MS game end 17-15. I did not want a silly T (wouldn't have happened with either coach) to have to make us play OT. So both my partner and I went to the closest door stepped outside (after checking with the table to be sure they were good) and then stepped back in. Jurisdiction for Girls ended and Boys begins.

Concerning the warm-ups, our directive has been to NOT call this on under-V games.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest
should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under
the basket
where opponents are warming up. Teams should only enter, jog or warm-up on their own half of the court.
Do you read this as actually under the basket, i.e. on the floor?

Gym has 2 doors at each end. V team warming up at the basket nearest the hallway where both teams locker rooms (and ours) are.
Home JVG team enters through far door opposite their bench, immediately turn right, jog along V's endline, but in foul, past V team, drop their things on home bench, go past scoretable to their basket.
Visiting coach (at her bench) asks me if I'm giving them a T for that. I said no, H team didnt say, or really even look at V team, no form of unsportsmanlike, or intimidation that I saw, and the coach went back to her bench.
I did mention it to the H coach, suggesting that having them enter the closer door will eliminate any possible future T's from another ref.

Out of curiosity, I asked the guys working the following varsity game, and they were split (they werent there to see it and only gave opinions on what I described).
What say you?