The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Technical on Coach with ball in flight

Second half, GV, visiting team puts up a 10' jumper, just as visiting coach says to center official, "you suck" Official T's up coach, then the ball goes throught the basket. (first time for me, with a T during a shot made good) didn't count basket, coach went and sat down. I'm pretty sure this is right in not counting the basket due to the whistle killing the ball and it was not an airborne shooter situation. If I'm reading 6-7 correclty I believe this was correct. Timeline of event: shot goes up, "you suck", whistle for T, ball goes through basket. Correct?
6-7
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:16am
We don't rent pigs

If the ball was in flight, the T does not cause it to be dead. Count the basket.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Ball is released: Count the basket
Before the release: No basket
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If the ball was in flight, the T does not cause it to be dead. Count the basket.
D*mmit, thanks! Been bugging me, felt odd.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:51am
Lighten up, Francis.

Once a try is released, the ball does not become dead until
  • the try ends
  • a player control foul is committed
  • the offense commits an elbow-swinging violation.
I think that's it. I also thought of BI/GT is committed, but that would also end the try. So I think I have it covered.

Any other kind of foul does not cause the ball to become dead; the horn does not cause the ball to become dead.

In your situation, you'd still assess the technical foul, obviously; count the basket; then award the FTs and possession to the offended team.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:27am
I miss being on the floor

Next time, if you can, wait until the try is over, then whack.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Next time, if you can, wait until the try is over, then whack.
Bad idea. What if the shot is missed, an offensive rebound is made and you hit the whistle just before A2 puts a layup in. No need for that to happen.

This isn't a team on a fastbreak, in which case you should hold the whistle. This is a shot in flight. The whistle has no bearing on whether the basket is counted or not. It counts if it goes. Either way, we're going to shoot FTs as soon as the shot ends.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:32am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Bad idea. What if the shot is missed, an offensive rebound is made and you hit the whistle just before A2 puts a layup in. No need for that to happen.

This isn't a team on a fastbreak, in which case you should hold the whistle. This is a shot in flight. The whistle has no bearing on whether the basket is counted or not. It counts if it goes. Either way, we're going to shoot FTs as soon as the shot ends.
Fair point. Yes I was thinking of a fast break. Also trying to avoid confusion.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

You should ABSOLUTELY wait until the play is over...THEN...wack! Doesn't matter if the T is called immediately after the coaches' comments...hold the whistle, then assess.

If you can stop it before the missed shot is rebounded by the offensive team, great. If not, doesn't matter - the coach is getting a T either way. No need to be so quick to blow the whistle while the shot is in the air.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
You should ABSOLUTELY wait until the play is over...THEN...wack! Doesn't matter if the T is called immediately after the coaches' comments...hold the whistle, then assess.

If you can stop it before the missed shot is rebounded by the offensive team, great. If not, doesn't matter - the coach is getting a T either way. No need to be so quick to blow the whistle while the shot is in the air.
So, what's the point in waiting?
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So, what's the point in waiting?
There is no need to interrupt a scoring-opportunity-in-action by calling the T at that exact moment. You make things a whole lot easier by waiting a few extra seconds.

This is most certainly true when:
- a T on a defensive player would wipe out a scoring chance by the offense. (why penalize the offense for the opponents transgression?)
- a NCAAM game where the resumption of play is POI (if you call the T while no team control, you've got to go the arrow).

By waiting a few extra seconds, it becomes a "cleaner"/easier penalty administration.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no need to interrupt a scoring-opportunity-in-action by calling the T at that exact moment. You make things a whole lot easier by waiting a few extra seconds.
In the OP, the shot was already in the air. This wasn't a "fast break" situation.

Here, call the T immediately, imo.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

This is most certainly true when:
- a T on a defensive player would wipe out a scoring chance by the offense. (why penalize the offense for the opponents transgression?)
- a NCAAM game where the resumption of play is POI (if you call the T while no team control, you've got to go the arrow).

By waiting a few extra seconds, it becomes a "cleaner"/easier penalty administration.
Neither situation applies to the OP, unless his GV games are done with NCAA rules. And POI in the OP would NOT be the arrow.

So again, why wait?
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The T is on the team trying to score. I'm not interested in the status of their opportunity.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Neither situation applies to the OP, unless his GV games are done with NCAA rules. And POI in the OP would NOT be the arrow.

So again, why wait?
My response was intentionally general enough to provide officials with various thoughts to consider.

Since you ONLY want to consider this situation in a GV game....my response to you is: "enjoy your career of working GV games. Call every violation/foul/infraction the exact second you see it. I'm sure you'll do well."