The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Partner comes with info

So working a 3-man game.

I am L. There is a drive from T and it looks like A1 has B1 one his left. A1 is met by B2 who fouls A1 hard. I have a whistle. T comes in and wants to give info. I ignore the info and call the foul on B2, basically I did not consider the input as I only had contact by B2 and it was pretty significant.

After the game, T comes in and says I have to take his information and should have called the foul on B1. He informs me that B1 had fouled A1 and that this contact forced the contact by B2. I had a good look and A1 was going to be fouled by B2 either way.

He says he had whistle on the play, but I did not hear it - must have been simultaneous.

My questions: Do I have to take his info and give a foul that I did not see to B1? Or is my partner wrong?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I would not brush off your partner. You'll get the reputation of being "that guy". Besides, we're out there as a team for a reason. Take the input, make a decision, and move on. If he's given you something to think about, discuss if necessary. Sounds like he very well might have had a foul that occurred slightly before yours in the case you describe.

But whether you use his input or not, don't be the guy that's too high and mighty to even listen.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

This should be a pregame issue most of all. And no you do not have to take his information, but I would not ignore it (and it was hard to discern in your OP what information was given at first). Some of this has to do with your trust level with your partner and some battles are not worth fighting. But it is not unusual to have a complete disagreement with a call and there is no one-size-fits-all model to resolve it. Some officials say who has the call in the primary, and others say where it came from gets the call. My question is why was this so important to the official?

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:26pm
This IS My Social Life

Re. Partner Info

Somewhat similar play last week where I came in from C with a foul that caused a travel that the L called. After the game my partner agreed he probably should have considered my case a little more earnestly. And I should have tried to sell my call to him more convincingly. I, having had my fist in the air, was royally busted by the coach and deserved the angst he was more than happy to mete out the remainder of the game, which I accepted.
I really shoulda insisted more. Both I and the coach were correct. Video confirmed it.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner should have taken the call if it knows he had a different foul that preceded yours.

You should have listened to him if he's telling you he has a different foul that preceded yours. However, you don't take his info and report it, he should then take the call and report it.

This is a pretty fundamental issue that will come up again. It doesn't take any pregaming on the topic. If you have two different things, communicate it and decide which was first and that person takes the call.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Your partner should have taken the call if it knows he had a different foul that preceded yours.

You should have listened to him if he's telling you he has a different foul that preceded yours. However, you don't take his info and report it, he should then take the call and report it.

This is a pretty fundamental issue that will come up again. It doesn't take any pregaming on the topic. If you have two different things, communicate it and decide which was first and that person takes the call.
I agree with Camron on this.

Not sure for one how you missed the fact that he had a foul also (double whistle)...even if you didn't hear his whistle I personally always make eye contact with the nearest official when I make a call to make sure we aren't both calling something. I'm not trying to bash you on that by any means...might just be a good practice to think about in the future.

I was working with one of our older gentlemen the other night in a 3-person setting. He and the third guy had like 4 double whistles when the old fella was at L...all 4 times he would just breeze by the third official on his way to the table without so much as a blink to report it. The two of us just laughed like "I guess he got it!"
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I had a situation where, I am lead and ball goes OOB, I see no tip, look at partner and he is moving to the other end, so he sees no tip, I call it and the players react and the crowd reacts like everyone saw the tip. I call partner over and he says " Did you see a tip?" I say "no", he says " the way everyone reacted, there MUST have been a tip, let's give it to them". I think he was right. We did and everyone was happy. Even the team that lost the ball.

On another occasion early in my refereeing, I missed the tip and called it for home, in front of visitors bench. I know I must be wrong because the coach never complained all night, butt now he was. I go to partner who was lead and I was trail. I ask " Tell me you saw something I didn't see". He says " I didn't see anything" I suck it up and accept that I made a bad call.

Today 10 years later, I would go to partner and say " Did you see the chick in the 4th row?" "BLUE BALL" and change my call. EXPERIENCE is a wonderful thing.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:18pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Today 10 years later, I would go to partner and say " Did you see the chick in the 4th row?" "BLUE BALL" and change my call. EXPERIENCE is a wonderful thing.
I was working with a veteran and he said if I ever know I am wrong and need to change my call, to call my partner(s) over and say "Gotta change my call, nod your head guys." Simple tricks work well!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would not even go to my partner after making a call. I would just signal what I had if I believe what I saw or wait and ask for help before calling anything.

Bottom line, these need to be discussed in pre-game so that you can gauge the temperature of your partners and come to some way to solve these issues. There are often 2 or 3 of us that might see something even if our primary is being observed. How many times does a ball fly by us and it came from some other location on the ball? We just should talk about these things so that we are not surprised with what could happen when the bullets are flying.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
I was working with a veteran and he said if I ever know I am wrong and need to change my call, to call my partner(s) over and say "Gotta change my call, nod your head guys." Simple tricks work well!
That sounds horrible. Don't assume that "veterans" and their ideas are great.