The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
My response was intentionally general enough to provide officials with various thoughts to consider.

Since you ONLY want to consider this situation in a GV game....my response to you is: "enjoy your career of working GV games. Call every violation/foul/infraction the exact second you see it. I'm sure you'll do well."
You may have been intentionally general, but you weren't clear about it.

If I was to suggest you Google "Wil Wheaton's Advice," that would have been more obvious than the "general" nature of your response.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 02:17pm.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There is no need to interrupt a scoring-opportunity-in-action by calling the T at that exact moment. You make things a whole lot easier by waiting a few extra seconds.

This is most certainly true when:
- a T on a defensive player would wipe out a scoring chance by the offense. (why penalize the offense for the opponents transgression?)
- a NCAAM game where the resumption of play is POI (if you call the T while no team control, you've got to go the arrow).

By waiting a few extra seconds, it becomes a "cleaner"/easier penalty administration.
How the hell does blowing the whistle while the ball is in flight wipe out a scoring opportunity?
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My response was intentionally general enough to provide officials with various thoughts to consider.

Since you ONLY want to consider this situation in a GV game....my response to you is: "enjoy your career of working GV games. Call every violation/foul/infraction the exact second you see it. I'm sure you'll do well."
I've nominated you for the d-bag comment of the day award. Congratulations.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There's no reason to be a jerk. We're discussing the situation in the thread, not every possible play that could happen. And in this play, there's no reason not to assess the T when the shot is in the air.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 04:21pm.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Good grief...I honestly can not think of anyone else who is as consistently wrong on this forum as our buddy twocents.

Are you seriously saying that you are concerned about the scoring opportunity of the team whose Coach just told your partner or you that you suck? There is absolutely no reason to hold on calling a T when THAT team has the ball.

And then to compound the error, he throws a derogatory GV comment out...nice. Makes me miss Jurassic today.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see a real issue with handling it either way.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've nominated you for the d-bag comment of the day award. Congratulations.
Is it because he is really being a jerk or that there is some truth to those statements? Or is it because it offends some because they work girls basketball?

It seems like when anyone says anything about girls basketball they are being arrogant or a jerk when many expectations of girls basketball is very different than boys basketball.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
.... many expectations of girls basketball is very different than boys basketball.

True, but not in the case at hand.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
True, but not in the case at hand.
You are probably correct, but it just seems like if anyone says anything about girls basketball we start making accusations. Of course the person in question often has a history of saying silly stuff, but I wonder if he said nothing about girl's basketball anyone would be calling him a jerk just for these comments?

Peace
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You are probably correct, but it just seems like if anyone says anything about girls basketball we start making accusations. Of course the person in question often has a history of saying silly stuff, but I wonder if he said nothing about girl's basketball anyone would be calling him a jerk just for these comments?

Peace
No, I'd just be calling him stupid for saying that blowing your whistle for a T while a try is in flight will wipe out a scoring opportunity.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Is it because he is really being a jerk or that there is some truth to those statements? Or is it because it offends some because they work girls basketball?

It seems like when anyone says anything about girls basketball they are being arrogant or a jerk when many expectations of girls basketball is very different than boys basketball.

Peace
If this was a simple "bash girls basketball" comment, I would've ignored it. Even if I agree with those comments, I try not to make them too often myself.

Instead he made a comment which made no sense (calling a T with the ball in flight has no effect on the scoring opportunity since the play posted WAS a GV play under NFHS rules) and he took a chance, then, to make a gratuitous swipe at GV basketball which had no place in the thread.

And the expectations and the outcomes *are* far different. Nobody said otherwise.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just asking. I just commented on a trend.

And I agree with BNR, that pretty much would have been my take.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Couple of problems here. He went off on another tangent about waiting and not stopping the scoring opportunity, if the T is on the defense. While this may be true in those other situations, not only is there no benefit to waiting here, as pointed out by Tony, the opposite may be the case. The offense may have a quick rebound and putback attempt, or there may be a foul by the defense on the rebound. That's the last thing you want here, is for the offending team to have any kind of chance for something positive.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 06:04pm
Esteemed Participant

The "d-bag factor" of his comment really doesn't have anything to do with Girls basketball. The fact is that twocents again posted incorrect information, and then when called on it, told a very accomplished official that that official wasn't good enough to do anything but GV ball. You could substitute rec league, Church league, Jr. high, or several other things for the GV part of twocents post, and it would still be a d-bag post.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

From my personal experience, the official calling the T should also be the official to determine if the ball was released before/after T. The other official(s) are not expecting this and when you get the T sorted out and ask them 1 or 2 minutes later whether the ball was released before or after the whistle , good luck