The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:15am
Often wrong never n doubt

Whistle to end period?

Is it required for the official who has last shot responsibilities to whistle to "end the period" after the buzzer has sounded?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:17am
(Something hilarious)

And away we go...

I do it. Don't remember if current IAABO or Fed manuals call for it. NCAAW manual does.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:20am

I had a partner tell me I need to do it because the quarter isn't officially over until the whistle sounds. I don't remember reading that anywhere but wanted to double check.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Is it required for the official who has last shot responsibilities to whistle to "end the period" after the buzzer has sounded?
It depends on your area. So, some here will insist on "yes." Some will insist on "no." To get your answer, you'll need to ask in your area.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:22am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
i had a partner tell me i need to do it because the quarter isn't officially over until the whistle sounds. I don't remember reading that anywhere but wanted to double check.
5-6-2
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a partner tell me I need to do it because the quarter isn't officially over until the whistle sounds. I don't remember reading that anywhere but wanted to double check.
This will be an area thing, but your partner is wrong in saying the quarter isn't officially over until the whistle sounds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I only do it if I have responsibility for the last-second shot and there is going to be a shot that needs to be ruled on. If someone is dribbling around in the backcourt I don't see a reason for it. It works for me.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
This will be an area thing, but your partner is wrong in saying the quarter isn't officially over until the whistle sounds.
I knew this but figured it was a Rome thing as this partner was from a different association.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
5-6-2
I knew this but figured there was no point in getting into a debate with him as it just seemed easier to nod and smile. I knew some gave it the whistle so I just went with the flow.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I knew this but figured it was a Rome thing as this partner was from a different association.
And this is why it is a Rome situation. Here working with people in other associations happens all the time and we still basically do the same things. And we are not assigned by association. So this is why you should ask that guy where he heard that standard and the people you normally work with. Otherwise none of us are going to know what is acceptable in your area, but those from your area.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And this is why it is a Rome situation. Here working with people in other associations happens all the time and we still basically do the same things. And we are not assigned by association. So this is why you should ask that guy where he heard that standard and the people you normally work with. Otherwise none of us are going to know what is acceptable in your area, but those from your area.

Peace
I was just double checking that I didn't miss something in the manual or somewhere else. Sometimes NFHS likes to state someone one place and something else in a different place.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I was just double checking that I didn't miss something in the manual or somewhere else. Sometimes NFHS likes to state someone one place and something else in a different place.
Not everyone uses the NF Manual. So that is why you must review what you do locally first.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:02pm
Official & Member

Not addressed in the FED manual and varies by area, association and sometimes from crew to crew. I've heard:

1) No whistle necessary ever...that's what the horn's for.
2) Always whistle to end period.
3) Only whistle if there is a shot close to the horn and you want to a) count it or b)wipe it.

Pet peeve of mine...with all the nit-picky rules we are expected to know about things like wardrobe, scorebooks, etc. you'd think the FED would address this as it occurs at least 4 times per game.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post

Pet peeve of mine...with all the nit-picky rules we are expected to know about things like wardrobe, scorebooks, etc. you'd think the FED would address this as it occurs at least 4 times per game.
That is why many states, associations or areas stopped using the manual in the first place. The NF takes time to address very basic and common situations or is slow to change to common practices. And why my state has rejected those manuals in all sports and certainly in basketball.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits And Two Person Games ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I only do it if I have responsibility for the last-second shot and there is going to be a shot that needs to be ruled on. If someone is dribbling around in the backcourt I don't see a reason for it. It works for me.
Same here in my little corner of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)