The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

LGP under the basket ?

Had a situation: L and C double whistle baseline drive to basket; C signals block while L signals PC. C runs to L says B1 under the basket has no LGP thus no PC. L says than how can there be a block? C doesnt yield to L counts basket puts A1 on line for FT. Both experienced Varsity refs but L is Sr and during post game L says in pro, NBA or college maybe ok but not NFHS the area under the basket is still fair play.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

This is hard to believe that experienced varsity officials would screw this up. There is no restricted area under NFHS rules. As such, a player can obtain legal guarding position ANYWHERE on the court.

As to your situation on the floor, one official screwed up the rule, then the other two allowed a second screw up by not administering the blarge (double foul).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Where was the third official?

In my mind, this becomes a rules discussion and it would be okay to "ignore" the blarge (as long as the correct ruling was made).

Sounds to me like a screw-up all around (not that it hasn't happened to all of us).
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:38am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Where was the third official?

In my mind, this becomes a rules discussion and it would be okay to "ignore" the blarge (as long as the correct ruling was made).
I agree with Bob on this. This is not two officials making opposite judgments. This is applying a rule incorrectly. Once we all agree on the ruleset and the facts, we can tell the coach that there's no blocking foul because there's no RA; so only one foul will be assessed.

And, honestly, I don't find it hard to believe that a veteran could make this mistake IF: 1) the official is also a college official; and 2) the court has the RA markings (maybe it's played in a college venue). In this case, I can see how the NCAA instincts might kick in until he's reminded that it's HS rules.

"I ain't sayin' it's right. . . but I understand." -- Chris Rock, paraphrased.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:42am.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I agree with Bob on this. This is not two officials making opposite judgments. This is applying a rule incorrectly. Once we all agree on the ruleset and the facts, we can tell the coach that there's no blocking foul because there's no RA; so only one foul will be assessed.

And, honestly, I don't find it hard to believe that a veteran could make this mistake IF: 1) the official is also a college official; and 2) the court has the RA markings (maybe it's played in a college venue). In this case, I can see how the NCAA instincts might kick in until he's reminded that it's HS rules.

"I ain't sayin' it's right. . . but I understand." -- Chris Rock, paraphrased.
I am a college official and work with a lot of college officials in high school games and I do not understand. This is pretty basic stuff to know the rule is not the same.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am a college official and work with a lot of college officials in high school games and I do not understand. This is pretty basic stuff to know the rule is not the same.

Peace

Some guys just won't give the charge call under the basket regardless of the rule
When my brother was playing an official gave his a minute long lecture on why he wouldn't give that call.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Some guys just won't give the charge call under the basket regardless of the rule
When my brother was playing an official gave his a minute long lecture on why he wouldn't give that call.
Wow. There's your first clue here.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Same confusion level here. You work the level you're working that night. If they're experienced, they really should remember.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:50am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
This is hard to believe that experienced varsity officials would screw this up. There is no restricted area under NFHS rules. As such, a player can obtain legal guarding position ANYWHERE on the court.

As to your situation on the floor, one official screwed up the rule, then the other two allowed a second screw up by not administering the blarge (double foul).
Have to partially disagree here about allowing the screw up to happen. sounds like they brought the official the correct information and he didnt want to do anything about it. if the person is adamant about not following the rules i dont see what you can do about it. i will bring the person the information, have a brief discussion with them and move on. not going to get into an argument or have a fight with another official on the court. at the end of the day, the official in the wrong will have to live with the consequences.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Have to partially disagree here about allowing the screw up to happen. sounds like they brought the official the correct information and he didnt want to do anything about it. if the person is adamant about not following the rules i dont see what you can do about it. i will bring the person the information, have a brief discussion with them and move on. not going to get into an argument or have a fight with another official on the court. at the end of the day, the official in the wrong will have to live with the consequences.
They only argued over whether it should have been a block or a charge. When they came together and realized that they couldn't come to a decision, and one had a block and the other a charge and they both signaled it, the discussion should have next gone into the fact that they had a blarge and what to do next.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I know more than a few officials who will refuse to call a blockcharge under the basket in HS and have held that view since long before the NBA or NCAA added their RA's. They like their way better and just will not call it by HS rules.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 01:24pm.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I know more than a few officials who will refuse to call a block under the basket in HS and have held that view since long before the NBA or NCAA added their RA's. They like their way better and just will not call it by HS rules.
Is this suppose to be the other way around?

Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I know more than a few officials who will refuse to call a block under the basket in HS and have held that view since long before the NBA or NCAA added their RA's.
We had this exact discussion at half time of my VB game last weekend. We had a play very similiar...double whistle between L and T, fortunately we had pre-gamed second defender so T never raised her hand to signal. L called it a block. When we got in at half time and were discussing the call and why he went block he said it was because of the depth of the defender. So it was personal preference and I don't see a problem with it. We all agreed that we wish they would put a RA line in for high-school.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
he went block he said it was because of the depth of the defender. So it was personal preference and I don't see a problem with it.
Why do you not have a problem with it?

A defender can defend *anywhere* on the court under NFHS rules.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upanddown View Post
Had a situation: L and C double whistle baseline drive to basket;
For two experienced Varsity Refs, why are L and C watching the same area. L shouldn't have been "reaching" across the lane to make a call out of his area. If you officiate your PCAs you run less risk of this happening in the first place.