The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

3 Man Mechanic ?

My partner and I had an association trainer tell us that the C never calls a backcourt violation (during a press from BC to FC).

I need help understanding this - as C during pressure I will generally be at the division line and the trail may be 10-15 steps behind it depending on the dribbler and the pressure.

Had the play last night - 5 feet in front of me - I call the violation and get a wry grin from the T - he later told the coach that yes - it is his call.

I really don't care either way - just looking to get the call right - no matter who calls it.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
My partner and I had an association trainer tell us that the C never calls a backcourt violation (during a press from BC to FC).

I need help understanding this - as C during pressure I will generally be at the division line and the trail may be 10-15 steps behind it depending on the dribbler and the pressure.

Had the play last night - 5 feet in front of me - I call the violation and get a wry grin from the T - he later told the coach that yes - it is his call.

I really don't care either way - just looking to get the call right - no matter who calls it.

Thoughts?
Refsmitty,
This is something that is good to cover in pre-game. When the ball is in the FRONTCOURT, the Center should not be calling a back court violation as the division line is the trail's "line." When in transition or in a pressing situation, the Center frequently is the one who is in a better position to call a back court violation -- precisely for the reason you mention in your post.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:45pm
Often wrong never n doubt

3.3.2f #4 says the center assists trail with division-line violations.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

If the play is coming BC to FC in transition, the C most definitely helps with BC violations.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

That was an old way of thinking with people just beginning to work 3 person. People that have been teaching and working that system for a rather long time, do not feel that way. It is just like not calling a foul on the ball handler in a press situation because the Trail is watching the ball. It is about angles and positioning and sometimes the Center is just in a better position to see these calls.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Refsmitty,
This is something that is good to cover in pre-game. When the ball is in the FRONTCOURT, the Center should not be calling a back court violation as the division line is the trail's "line." When in transition or in a pressing situation, the Center frequently is the one who is in a better position to call a back court violation -- precisely for the reason you mention in your post.
You may want to revisit the official's manual on this one. The "C" should help the trail with division line violations. Even when the ball is in the front court, the "C" has the nearer free-throw lane line extended all the way to the division line. Maybe it's just a local thing that they don't want the "C" to make that call. But technically, the "C" can.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Refsmitty,
When the ball is in the FRONTCOURT, the Center should not be calling a back court violation as the division line is the trail's "line."
A1 is trapped by B1 and B2 above the 3 point arc in the C's PCA. The ball is deflected off A1's knee, and goes into the BC where A2 retrieves the ball.

I hope you can tell me how the T is supposed to make that call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
A1 is trapped by B1 and B2 above the 3 point arc in the C's PCA. The ball is deflected off A1's knee, and goes into the BC where A2 retrieves the ball.

I hope you can tell me how the T is supposed to make that call.

Easy...C should be the new T by then if the L is paying attention.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Easy...C should be the new T by then if the L is paying attention.
Rotations dont always happen that fast, nor should they when the ball hasn't settled below the FT line. The C HAS to make the call.

Bottom line, there are situations where the C will have to make a BC violation call, even when the ball is in the FC.

Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Rotations dont always happen that fast, nor should they when the ball hasn't settled below the FT line. The C HAS to make the call.

Bottom line, there are situations where the C will have to make a BC violation call, even when the ball is in the FC.
I know there are different philosophies out there....

Settling below the FT line isn't even part of my thought process when it comes to initiating a rotation. All I care is that the ball and the officials are in the frontcourt.

For example, if a trap happens anywhere on the C's side, I'm rotating as the lead, so the C can take a step out and properly officiate the trap. Likewise, if a player is posting up on the C's side and the ball is anywhere on that side of the court, I'm likely going across. If I wait untiol the ball's passed into the post, I've waited too long.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Settling below the FT line isn't even part of my thought process when it comes to initiating a rotation. All I care is that the ball and the officials are in the frontcourt.

For example, if a trap happens anywhere on the C's side, I'm rotating as the lead, so the C can take a step out and properly officiate the trap. Likewise, if a player is posting up on the C's side and the ball is anywhere on that side of the court, I'm likely going across. If I wait untiol the ball's passed into the post, I've waited too long.
Just using common terminology, Rich. Personally, I don't think a trap 5' from the top of the key in the C's PCA warrants a rotation but that's another conversation.

The point is there are situations that can occur where the ball will be in the FC where the C would have to make the BC violation call, not the T.

At least IMO.

Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Just using common terminology, Rich. Personally, I don't think a trap 5' from the top of the key in the C's PCA warrants a rotation but that's another conversation.
We can have that another time, I suppose. I do disagree with you, but that's not terribly important.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

In our group of officials, if the C has to start officiating "on ball" there should be an immediate rotation.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
In our group of officials, if the C has to start officiating "on ball" there should be an immediate rotation.
Exactly. Unless the player shoots or drives to the basket and there's inadequate time to get across and in position.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Amazon.com: Basketball Officiating Mechanics 2 and 3 Person High School Crews: Right Spot at the Right Time (9781582081687): Ken Koester: Books

Page 137 discusses the "center initiated" rotation. For a brief moment, you could probably assume that while C is in transition to the T, they also have to cover the backcourt violation.

I was just reviewing this earlier tonight...good timing.