The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

ASA SP Mechanic

Someone brought this question up, and I'm not quite convinced of the answer that I got. Thus, I throw the question out to you...

Quote:
ASA 6-1-E: The pitcher must not simulate a legal pitch while not in contact with the pitchers plate.
EFFECT: A dead ball should be called, an illegal pitch ruled, a warning is issued, and repeated action would result in the pitcher ruled illegal, and removed from the pitching position.
I was told the proper mechanic for the PU would be to signal DDB and call "Illegal." Then, kill the play with a "dead ball" signal (verbal and visual). Then, step out and warn the pitcher.

Why bother with the DDB signal? If the effect is a dead ball, why not skip the DDB signal and go straight to "Dead ball!" instead?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:21pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Someone brought this question up, and I'm not quite convinced of the answer that I got. Thus, I throw the question out to you...

I was told the proper mechanic for the PU would be to signal DDB and call "Illegal." Then, kill the play with a "dead ball" signal (verbal and visual). Then, step out and warn the pitcher.

Why bother with the DDB signal? If the effect is a dead ball, why not skip the DDB signal and go straight to "Dead ball!" instead?
You were told wrong. If you read the rule's effect, it says to call dead ball, not delayed dead ball. Besides, if a pitcher did something illegal before touching the rubber, he can't really start a pitch after the illegal action. Go straight to dead ball and do collect your game fee!