Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
Rut,
It's a Catholic middle school city league. It is not governed by the state althelic associaition. This is my first year in this league, as I just moved to this area last summer.
There's a reason a lot of us won't work private schools... generally (I'd say ironically, but perhaps not) the attitudes of players and coaches is as you described MUCH more frequently than at schools where the schools are not beholden to the parents. The schools tend to work around the state rather than within it, and that attitude pervades all of their activities. I work 4 sports, and I can say with confidence that I've had more problems per game at private schools than public in all 4 sports.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:40am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
All right first thanks for all of the advice and comments. I am feeling better and this will soon fade away. I am working tonight. I be dammed if I let some ignorant folks get me from enjoying doing this. I have enjoyed it vey much thus far. Even when I feel like I have had a bad game I still feel a sense of satisfaction.
How'd the games go last night?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Back at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
How'd the games go last night?
Last nights games went great! First game very competitive (8th grade boys) closely contested, and the fans loud in a (mostly) positive way. Both myself and my partner were on the same page and managed it well. I was able to talk a chippy coach ( who wanted to talk about every call) that he had to choose his battles. He listened, and the game went smoothly after that. I had to call my first elbowing foul and I was able to slow down enough to think it thru with my fist up before opening my mouth and calling an intentional foul. I did not judge it flagrant. Once I explained the new rule to the offending player's coach everybody was fine. I hate to say this, because Padgett has replied to this thread and is probably monitoring it, but we did have 1 overtime period!

The next 2 games were not closely contested, but went very well from officials point of view. My partner was great and I know that this really helped. I did have my radar up as we left the locker room, tried not to make much eye contact, but heard nothing but a couple of thank you's.

I felt good on the way home and for the rest of my short evening. Again thanks to all for helping me thru this!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:29pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

The parents of private religious schools never ceased to amaze me. Don't get me wrong — there were several religious schools where the parents / coaches / players were great ... super nice, moreso than anyone.

But at other private religious schools? Some of the worst people I have ever encountered. Pray before the game — but after the tip, all bets are off!!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

I dare say every official has had a similar experience. Lots of good advice here. Get your stuff, avoid eye contact, head for the door and stop to talke to no one.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:54pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The parents of private religious schools never ceased to amaze me. Don't get me wrong — there were several religious schools where the parents / coaches / players were great ... super nice, moreso than anyone.

But at other private religious schools? Some of the worst people I have ever encountered. Pray before the game — but after the tip, all bets are off!!
Yep. "Church ball: The only brawl that starts with a prayer."
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I "forgot" to block out Arbiter for this past Sunday as those are usually "self assign" days, and I found myself "assigned" two 7th grade boys church games this past weekend. Nicest folks as could be!

Of course, the hoops was horrific and set the game back ten yrs!