The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Someone Please Remind Me Why I Umpire???

6A Area Finals today. 4 teams in area, some games played Thursday/Friday, first game today is the loser's final. 7-2 no problem - better team (and area regular season champ) won (team "A"). The winner faces the winner of the top side of the bracket in the Area Finals (team "B"), but both teams have qualified for the regional tournament next week. Both coaches happy, talking nice I'm thinking no stress game we'll be done quickly.

Team A gets a 3 run shot in the bottom of the first and goes on to win 7-2, which forces the dreaded IF game. I go back on the dish.

Well now more parents file in for the "IF" game, all apparently experts on the rules and application of them. Top of first Team B scores 1. Bottom of first runners @ 2nd, 3rd fly ball to right field drops but is fielded cleanly - runner goes; throw from OF and banger at the plate. Runner slides over the catcher's glove hand. Catcher shows me the ball and I punch the runner out. Catcher is hurt and as she pulls off her glove the ball comes out. This all happens withoin 2-3 seconds. Team "A" parents are SCREAMING "the ball is out". I kill the play as the catcher is screaming in pain. A coach asks me about the ball being out and I tell her that the catcher had control after the tag was applied and let go of the ball intentionally to take off her glove while in pain. Coach actually OK with it but a parent yells out "THAT'S BS BLUE!!" He didn't abbreviate it, he said the whole thing loud enough for the next zip code to hear it. Really cute. The coach immediately yelled at the moron, but the crap was out of the goose. Did I mention the two teams really don't like each other? Game on.

For 3 innings team "A" parents were on everything we called, every pitch every routine play. We had some great plays from the players and some great hustle from my partner and I to get in position. I truely think it was my best game of the year. Then on a 2-2 count with runners @ 1st and 2nd team A's SS swings at a pitch as it curves into her, hiting her in the shoulder - dead ball, strike (out). Out come the psycos...now I'm making up my own rules, I'm pitifull, worst called game ever in the history of softball. Finally I tell team A's coach to get a handle on her crowd (she is also the tournament organizer and game management). I don't usually do that but it was REALLY getting bad. Things settle down and some great ball was played. End of regulation tied @ 2 - goes 2 extra and team B wins 3-2.

On the way to the parking lot, some of the parents that were screaming at us previously start jeering at us again. When team B's parents tell them to shut up, they jeer the parents, calling them to come over to "Say it to my face!" Friggin losers. Great game, and I'll humbly submit pretty good friggin umpiring. Now the local blogs are only talking about the idiot fans..... AAARRGGGGGHH!!!!!!

Last edited by derwil; Sat May 07, 2011 at 10:33pm.
Old Sat May 07, 2011, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Screw the parents. They all kicked the call 100 times worse than the worst umpire ever could, and you gave the teams and the sport everything you've got. Everything it deserves.

Forget them. They're just whiney wusses who don't have half the courage it takes to don our uniform day in, day out.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

For the money!
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Because YOU ACTUALLY know what happens on the field and YOU ACTUALLY know the rules and because the participants obviously would never agree all the time.

Old Sun May 08, 2011, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Because you are one of the best people for the job!

Only thing I wonder about.........
Two plates in a row for a Championship situation?
I'm not sure that's fair to you or the teams.
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Because you are one of the best people for the job!

Only thing I wonder about.........
Two plates in a row for a Championship situation?
I'm not sure that's fair to you or the teams.
Where does it say that he did two plates in a row? Back on the dish could mean they were on the dish in some previous game, not necessarily the game before. Dave
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Plate on the first game (loser bracket final) then base for the champ game, then back on the plate for the IF game. Long day - no time limits, first two seven innings and the last one was nine along with all the other crap....
Old Sun May 08, 2011, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Plate on the first game (loser bracket final) then base for the champ game, then back on the plate for the IF game. Long day - no time limits, first two seven innings and the last one was nine along with all the other crap....
Oh, I see now.

I read 1+1 and came up with 3.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post

For the money!
Not a very good reason......

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
6A Area Finals today. 4 teams in area, some games played Thursday/Friday, first game today is the loser's final. 7-2 no problem - better team (and area regular season champ) won (team "A"). The winner faces the winner of the top side of the bracket in the Area Finals (team "B"), but both teams have qualified for the regional tournament next week. Both coaches happy, talking nice I'm thinking no stress game we'll be done quickly.

Team A gets a 3 run shot in the bottom of the first and goes on to win 7-2, which forces the dreaded IF game. I go back on the dish.

Well now more parents file in for the "IF" game, all apparently experts on the rules and application of them. Top of first Team B scores 1. Bottom of first runners @ 2nd, 3rd fly ball to right field drops but is fielded cleanly - runner goes; throw from OF and banger at the plate. Runner slides over the catcher's glove hand. Catcher shows me the ball and I punch the runner out. Catcher is hurt and as she pulls off her glove the ball comes out. This all happens withoin 2-3 seconds. Team "A" parents are SCREAMING "the ball is out". I kill the play as the catcher is screaming in pain. A coach asks me about the ball being out and I tell her that the catcher had control after the tag was applied and let go of the ball intentionally to take off her glove while in pain. Coach actually OK with it but a parent yells out "THAT'S BS BLUE!!" He didn't abbreviate it, he said the whole thing loud enough for the next zip code to hear it. Really cute. The coach immediately yelled at the moron, but the crap was out of the goose. Did I mention the two teams really don't like each other? Game on.

For 3 innings team "A" parents were on everything we called, every pitch every routine play. We had some great plays from the players and some great hustle from my partner and I to get in position. I truely think it was my best game of the year. Then on a 2-2 count with runners @ 1st and 2nd team A's SS swings at a pitch as it curves into her, hiting her in the shoulder - dead ball, strike (out). Out come the psycos...now I'm making up my own rules, I'm pitifull, worst called game ever in the history of softball. Finally I tell team A's coach to get a handle on her crowd (she is also the tournament organizer and game management). I don't usually do that but it was REALLY getting bad. Things settle down and some great ball was played. End of regulation tied @ 2 - goes 2 extra and team B wins 3-2.

On the way to the parking lot, some of the parents that were screaming at us previously start jeering at us again. When team B's parents tell them to shut up, they jeer the parents, calling them to come over to "Say it to my face!" Friggin losers. Great game, and I'll humbly submit pretty good friggin umpiring. Now the local blogs are only talking about the idiot fans..... AAARRGGGGGHH!!!!!!
IS there no site admistration present at these games? No reason why they shouldn't be earning their paycheck and taking care of the rowdies if there is. If there isn't, then there darn sure should be.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Derwill...I feel your pain, but from a different angle.

Saturday, I was the UIC for State Tournament games at our 6 field complex.
Umpires from all over the state coming in for games and I'm trying to watch several different crews, some games in 3 umpire, on six different fields.

There were several times I just had to walk away from a field to keep from saying something in response to stupid fan comments about the umpires, rules, calls, etc....

You hear some of the stuff when you're on the field, and you can just kind of shake your head and laugh....there is so much more that is said that the umpires don't hear that is just as, if not more, stupid!

I almost started handing out cards inviting people to sign up to umpire with our association...after all, they were already experts!
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
. . . .

There were several times I just had to walk away from a field to keep from saying something in response to stupid fan comments about the umpires, rules, calls, etc....

. . . .
If the comments where just a display of ignorance I can understand you walking away rather than start a confrontation.

If the comments were unsportsmanlike or in any way could be construed as an attack on the umpires then why wouldn't you deal with it as UIC? Bad behavior which is not challenged becomes acceptable behavior. Stopping such behavior before it spreads could head off an ugly scene later.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Not a very good reason......

Scott, you can borrow my humor detector whenever you want.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Ha! I wasn't sure if he thought I really meant that or not.

That we're "only doing it for the money" is one of those all-purpose slurs that seem to get hurled at umpires. It as if to say "You don't really care if you do a good job or make the right calls. You just want to get your money and get out of here".

I don't think there are too many guys like that on this forum...
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
If the comments where just a display of ignorance I can understand you walking away rather than start a confrontation.

If the comments were unsportsmanlike or in any way could be construed as an attack on the umpires then why wouldn't you deal with it as UIC? Bad behavior which is not challenged becomes acceptable behavior. Stopping such behavior before it spreads could head off an ugly scene later.
The comments I was referring to were comments of ignorance and/or stupidity.

If any of the comments fell into the areas you mention, they would have been dealt with immediately, either by myself, or the tournament staff, or both. The AIA (state association) has a program called Victory With Honor that all member schools adhere to. Unsportsmanlike actions and/or comments, both on and off the field, are dealt with swiftly.