The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Missing Scorebook

I am a first year official and was working a JV game with a very experienced partner. The first half went well and we came out to start the second half. The ball was about to be inbounded to start the second half when we were notified that the official book was not at the table. Apparently the home AD took the book on accident thinking it was the freshman book and he wanted to make a copy of it.

We waited for about two minutes and with the book still missing we gave the home team a T.

We knew that it was illegal for the official book to leave the table during the game so we assumed we were doing the correct thing. What we learned after the game looking in the rule book is that even though it is illegal for the book to leave the table, there is no penalty for doing so.

Were we still correct in giving the T as it was a delay of game?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbballref View Post
I am a first year official and was working a JV game with a very experienced partner. The first half went well and we came out to start the second half. The ball was about to be inbounded to start the second half when we were notified that the official book was not at the table. Apparently the home AD took the book on accident thinking it was the freshman book and he wanted to make a copy of it.

We waited for about two minutes and with the book still missing we gave the home team a T.

We knew that it was illegal for the official book to leave the table during the game so we assumed we were doing the correct thing. What we learned after the game looking in the rule book is that even though it is illegal for the book to leave the table, there is no penalty for doing so.
Actually, that's not true. If you believe the book was removed as part of an unsporting act, you can assess a T.

In this situation, assuming there was a visitor's book, I would make the visiting book the official book and play basketball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Actually, that's not true. If you believe the book was removed as part of an unsporting act, you can assess a T.

In this situation, assuming there was a visitor's book, I would make the visiting book the official book and play basketball.
Perfect solution!
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:27pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

It's everywhere! It's everywhere!

About 5 years ago, i was at a game at a now-closed school where the scorer took the book into the locker room at half time. I ended up being made the official book for the second half.

Four years later, we had an away game there and the exact same thing happened.

The day after that, I was at another site where the home scorer took the book into the locker room. When I told an official, he told me to mind my own business.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

That is the example that the case book gives is the book going into the locker room at halftime. Says it is illegal but there is no penalty...

That brings me to another question, why have a rule if there is no penalty if broken?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbballref View Post
That is the example that the case book gives is the book going into the locker room at halftime. Says it is illegal but there is no penalty...

That brings me to another question, why have a rule if there is no penalty if broken?
If the book was simply removed from the table, then there's no penalty. Mistakes happen, not everything has to be punitive.

But if there's unsporting activity, there's a reason to penalize and you should.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm digging back deep on this post... What would be the thing to do if there is not a visitors score book?

I thought of this tonight as we did a game where there was not a second book