The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Nike+

I'm wondering if any of you have used this product and how it works? Before you think I'm off topic, I'm tracking my distance covered in my games this year and I'm currently just using a pedometer. It works alright, but it is calibrated to my walking step, not running and I have to wear it on my hip. With the Nike+ I'm curious if I would the have to have my iPod in my pocket, or if I could leave it in the locker room and sync at half time and end of game? Or if anybody has a recommendation for a good pedometer, let me know.

The results so far are just over 1.6 miles for HS and 2.2 for college. This is something I'm doing to satisfy a curiosity I've had for awhile. Thanks for your help.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Walking Dead ...

I've used an old fashioned pedometer several times over the past few seasons. Two person games. Boys varsity games. Averaged about three miles per game.

Note: If I remember correctly, they once put a pedometer on Celtic great John Havlicek, and he ran at least five miles in a game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
I'm wondering if any of you have used this product and how it works? Before you think I'm off topic, I'm tracking my distance covered in my games this year and I'm currently just using a pedometer. It works alright, but it is calibrated to my walking step, not running and I have to wear it on my hip. With the Nike+ I'm curious if I would the have to have my iPod in my pocket, or if I could leave it in the locker room and sync at half time and end of game? Or if anybody has a recommendation for a good pedometer, let me know.

The results so far are just over 1.6 miles for HS and 2.2 for college. This is something I'm doing to satisfy a curiosity I've had for awhile. Thanks for your help.
If you are referring to the device you attach to your shoe that interacts with your iPod, I have one that I use when I go running. I don't believe it will operate correctly unless the iPod is within range of the sensor. It operates on a low-powered 2.4 GHz radio, though it's not Bluetooth or Wifi, so I think your iPod has to be within just a few feet of the sensor (i.e. not in the locker room).

Also, unless you have an iPod/iPhone that is also GPS capable, the sensor requires calibration. I ran 400 meters on the track to calibrate mine and then continued on my 2 mile run. I noticed that as I ran further and my stride shortened, it was assuming my stride length was the same and thus told me my run was longer than it really was. This tells me that it's really nothing more than a glorified pedometer. And since the size of your steps as a basketball official probably vary significantly, I'm not sure your measurements are all that accurate.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Also, unless you have an iPod/iPhone that is also GPS capable, the sensor requires calibration.
Anything that uses GPS is most likely not going to work indoors (i.e. in a gym).
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Does The Gymnasium Have A Tin Foil Roof ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenB View Post
Anything that uses GPS is most likely not going to work indoors (i.e. in a gym).
Those black helicopters don't have X-Ray vision. Yet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)